The Compass Experiment is seeking a local news writer fluent in both English and Spanish to tell stories with resonance across the Longmont community.
The ideal candidate knows the local audience well. Our local teams are not only writers and editors, but also community ambassadors for our reporting. This role in particular will have a focus on developing relationships and story ideas in collaboration with Longmont’s Latino community.
As a small staff, all Compass local editorial employees will have a role in reporting, writing, editing, publishing and promoting daily news. The successful candidate must be able to juggle producing quick-turn breaking stories and providing context to daily happenings.
The ability to write and report daily stories that resonate with audiences is a must. The job requires the ability to understand our audience and frame stories in a way that highlights what is most important and essential to them.
This role reports to the Local Editor and will be based solely in the local community. Local applicants strongly preferred.
This position is located in Longmont, CO
Duties and responsibilities:
- Regularly write news stories that are clear, accurate, engaging and of high interest and relevance to local readers.
- Develop sources that go beyond government and company officials and include regular people who will be impacted by big decisions.
- Be able to juggle multiple daily stories while chasing breaking news.
- Work with the editor to assure that stories are complete, fair and in context.
- Work with central and local editors to use audience metrics to determine the best stories for building our audience.
- Produce basic video and photos in the field as needed.
- Write and report on a continuous-news cycle, publishing to digital platforms as well as social platforms as required.
- Use social networks to seek story ideas and connect with the community.
- Participate in training sessions offered and seek out learning opportunities.
- Education and knowledge: Prior news writing experience required. Local applicants strongly preferred.
- Ability to write and edit in both Spanish and English
- Excellent news judgment
- Demonstrated reporting, writing and social media skills with a strong sense of writing voice.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and community members
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving.
- The ability to communicate across different segments of the community and understand their needs
- The ability to quickly develop reliable sources
- Commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- The ability to report, analyze and write with speed.
Benefits and Application:
All Compass Experiment team members will be full-time employees of McClatchy. Employee benefits include 401K and competitive medical, dental and life insurance offerings.
In your cover letter, please tell us how your professional experience reflects the attributes we’re looking for, and why you’re uniquely suited for this opportunity.
McClatchy is an equal opportunity employer
Exceleratedigital.com is our agency, with 30 "state of the art" products, content development teams and a video lab, making us a one shop, strategic, consultative partner to enterprise level companies.
McClatchy operates 30 media companies across the country, providing each of its communities with strong independent local journalism in the public interest and advertising services in a wide array of digital formats. With 70M+ UV’s, McClatchy offers scale against trusted, high quality content with additional activation opportunities at the local level.