Computational Design & DfMA Lead
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
This role can be based in any one of McCarthy's 15 offices. In this role you will lead McCarthy’s Design Automation projects – projects that may range across all McCarthy markets and geographies. You will be responsible for two primary areas. Firstly, you will establish yourself as a resident expert in computational design and DfMA technology and approaches. You will know what is happening in the market, what trends or technologies are signal versus noise, and how existing products are positioned relative to one another. You will kick the tires on the most promising ones to understand their limitations and leverage that knowledge to inform company business decisions.
Secondly, you will work with stakeholders to identify, scope, plan, and prototype new products including some already in flight. You should have the technical depth to prototype ideas yourself as well as the organizational skills and demeanor to manage products implemented by others. You will dive deep into the client’s (internal or external) work, exploring all aspects of why they do what they do to understand how products can positively impact those stakeholders.
You are eager to explore the unknown and dive deep with true curiosity into new topics and opportunities across the built environment. You balance this with sensitivity to the daily demands of the business which guide your explorations.
Please note: This role is NOT dedicated to specific building projects although your work will interface with and impact projects across McCarthy’s lines of business.
Technology & Development:
- Research, validate, and adopt design computation and DfMA technologies for application in the built environment with a focus on parametric design, analysis, machine learning, and digital fabrication.
- Create, from scratch, new design computational design and DfMA tools and services.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners across all areas of the organization.
- Establish a shared product vision and strategy, rooted in a deep understanding of the product domain and unmet customer needs.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of our users’ needs, market opportunities, latest technology advancements, and business objectives
- Create trust and transparency by communicating team progress and results to stakeholders; help the organization celebrate successes and learn from failures
- Serve as the voice of the user through the product development lifecycle and develop products and features that maximize usability and client engagement
- Leverage end user feedback and iterative testing and feedback loops to optimize development cycles.
- Ensure organizational readiness for launches
- Degree in Architecture, Engineering, computer science or similar
- 5+ years of experience in AEC space and/or technical product management.
- Strong verbal, written, and graphic communication
- Deep experience creating, reading, and interpreting architectural, engineering, and/or fabrication drawings
- Detailed knowledge of typical AEC project processes, milestones, and deliverables.
- Ability to create sophisticated parametric systems and, create GUIs and digital dashboards to parse and visualize results.
- Knowledge of and proven practical background in Autodesk Revit, BIM 360 and related Building Information Modeling tools and processes.
- Expertise in computational/generative design platforms, such as Grasshopper and Dynamo.
- Expert proﬁciency in Revit, Rhino and other 3D modeling platforms.
- Experience with databases, Forge API, and/or ML techniques
- Experience applying statistics, data science, machine learning, simulation, or modeling for problems in AEC
- Product management experience delivering highly impactful and innovative products at scale
- Have led or participated in Agile development processes
- Love to make things both digital and physical.
- Creativity and curiosity. A self-driven learner.
- Thrive in ambiguity while crafting simplicity and order. Exhibit a “Fail forward” mentality.
- Entrepreneurial spirit that embraces change and constantly seeks out new opportunities.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion and to set priorities and manage competing demands. A bias to action, never hesitant to roll up your sleeves and get to work.
- Reliable, responsive, and positive work ethic with the highest degree of integrity.
- Ability to communicate roadmaps, priorities, experiments, and decisions clearly across a wide spectrum of audiences from internal customers to executives
- Passionate about computational design, digital tool development, and learning new skills and technologies
- Experience with developing a deep understanding of the customer using evidence-based personas or similar artifacts
- Excited to dive deep on new topics or fields
McCarthy is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer regardless of race, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious beliefs, marital status, genetic information, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.