Psychiatric Registered Nurse
TITLE: Psychiatric Registered Nurse
REPORTS TO: Director of Professional and Clinical Services
• Is currently licensed as an RN through the State Board of Nursing.
• Prefer one year's clinical experience, with current home health, medical, surgical, or critical care experience.
• Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate skills for communicating with individual ages of those served. Complies with accepted professional standards and principles.
• Possesses and maintains good physical stamina and mental health. Has completed the agency pre-employment health clearance.
• Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state and/or Agency requirements and is in good working order.
• Is flexible and cooperative in fulfilling role obligation.
• Has excellent observation, good clinical judgment, and good oral and written communication skills.
• Is self-directed with the ability to work with little supervision; has good organizational skills.
• Current and unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse specific to that state the employee is assigned to work by the company.
• Minimum one (1) year of clinical experience as a registered nurse.
• A registered nurse must meet one of the following to meet CMS requirements for psychiatric nursing in the home care setting:
• Master’s degree in psychiatric or mental health nursing.
• Bachelor’s degree in nursing with one year recent nursing experience in an active treatment unit in a psychiatric or mental health hospital or outpatient clinic.
• Diploma or associate’s degree with two years recent nursing experience in an active treatment unit in a psychiatric or mental health hospital or outpatient clinic.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
As a psychiatric registered nurse and behavioral health nurse in home health, you have a unique opportunity to provide one on one, psychiatric/behavioral health and skilled nursing care and treatment to patients in their home. Your primary work will include collaboration with mental health professionals to create a home care plan supporting an individual and their caregivers coping with dementia, Alzheimer’s, schizophrenia, anxiety, grief, depression and other psychiatric conditions and within the home setting.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Develops, prepares and maintains individualized patient/client care documentation consistent with the plan of care. Submits accurate documentation within one working day of visit/phone call.
• Assesses and provides patient/client and family/caregiver education and information pertinent to diagnosis and plan of care.
• Participates in coordination of home health services, appropriately reporting the patient’s/client’s condition, status, and need for additional disciplines (HHA, OT, PT, MSW, ST, Dietitian) to the RN Case Manager and/or Branch Supervisor on an ongoing basis or documents rationale for not doing so.
• Uses equipment and supplies effectively and efficiently.
• Provides those services requiring nursing skill, in accordance with the plan of care signed by the physician. Demonstrates competency in all skills required for the agency, which may include but not limited to, venipunctures, infusion therapy, infusion therapy device care, wound care, aseptic technique.
• Assesses client's continual care needs. Documentation addresses problems identified in the on going assessment or provides documentation of rationale for not doing so.
• Supervises home health aide at least every 14 days, teaches Aide in duties of client care as needed, assesses client's need for unskilled care and advises case manager of need for revision of plan of care as appropriate. In ACHC Accredited offices, supervises LVN/LPN every 55-60 days with or without LVN/LPN being present in the home. Supervises plan of care delivered by LVN/LPN during recertification/discharge visit and teaches LPN/LVN as needed.
• Responsible for following all policies and procedures of the Agency, regarding service delivery, documentation, and care coordination.
• Participates in on call rotation as assigned by supervisor.
• Participates in Quality Improvement program of the agency. Can verbalize own responsibilities and activities.
• Performs duties within the limits of preparation and experience.
• Participates in public relations and community activities that promote the Agencies role as an effective member of the health care delivery system.
• Seeks and obtains sufficient information necessary to function effectively in the health care setting where assigned. Responsible for keeping current in nursing trends and knowledge. Participates in In-service programs.
• Administers medications and/or treatments as prescribed by the physician.
• Initiates and applies appropriate preventative, therapeutic and rehabilitative procedures and techniques and maintains communication regarding patient/client care with the physician, other disciplines involved in the care, and supervisory personnel.
• Accepts responsibility of assignment to perform specialized procedures, only when qualified.
• Observes the patient/client for changes in condition, discusses changes with the patient/client or family/caregiver and reports changes, as necessary, to the attending physician and/or RN Case Manager. Documentation reflects communication and condition of the patient.
• Teaches, supervises, and counsels the patient/client and family/caregiver home nursing procedures, self-care techniques and other care needs as appropriate to the patient’s/client's condition. Provides medication, diet and other instructions as ordered by the physician and recognizes and utilizes opportunities for health counseling with patients/clients and families/caregivers.
• Assists the patient/client in maintaining an optimal, safe environment.
• Evaluates and assesses the medical, cognitive, emotional, psychosocial, safety, developmental status and behavioral health/psychiatric nursing needs of the patient to determine the appropriateness of care and criteria for acceptance to behavioral health/psychiatric home health care.
• Evaluates the patient’s management and compliance with the medical and psychiatric plain of care and communicates closely with the physician, interdisciplinary team, agencies and institutions for continuity of care regarding patient’s progress.
• Acts as a case manager in coordinating care for the behavioral health/psychiatric patient. Regularly reviews treatment planning under the direction of a physician or psychiatrist which includes nursing actions and interventions, goals and discharge summaries.
• Administers IM medications, performs lab draws and specimen collections, and educates patient and caregiver in appropriate medical techniques. Performs other nursing treatment to include medical care in accordance to the plan of care.
Other aspects and demands of the job not listed above:
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
• Community and home environment
• General office
• Exposure to infectious diseases
• In and out of automobile.
• This position has been designated Class I Field staff position (see Infection/Exposure Control Plan). Employees performing Class I Field staff position duties may be involved in potential exposure to blood borne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials. All Class I Field staff position employees will be offered Hepatitis B vaccination at no expense to the employee.
• Visual/hearing ability sufficient to comprehend written/verbal communication.
• Ability to perform tasks involving physical activity, which may include heavy lifting and extensive bending and standing.
• Ability to deal effectively with stress.
CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Must meet the required continuing education hours for state certification as a nurse in Texas as applicable. Agency personnel are expected to participate in appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or required by their immediate supervisor. In addition, agency personnel are expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job related skills and abilities. All agency personnel must attend mandatory educational programs.
I have read, and fully understand all information in the above job description. I meet the stated job qualifications, and am mentally and physically able to perform the responsibilities and duties of the above job description.
Mays Home HealthSulphur Springs, TX
HealthcareView All Mays Home Health Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.