Deputy Director - Office of Policy and Legislative Affairs (OPLA)
- Posted: over a month ago
POSITION: Deputy Director
DEPARTMENT/AGENCY: Office of Policy and Legislative Affairs
OPEN: November 9, 2022
CLOSE: Open Until Filled
SALARY RANGE: Excepted Service, Grade 7 ($85,257 to $127,883)
As Deputy Director Office of Policy and Legislative Affairs (OPLA), incumbent serves as principal liaison for the Executive Office of the Mayor (EOM) and Executive agencies to the Council and between EOM and Executive agencies on legislative and policy matters. In particular, the incumbent will work with and on behalf of an assigned cluster of agencies within designated issue areas to help navigate the legislative process at the Council of the District of Columbia. In addition, the incumbent will work closely with assigned agencies to formulate Executive policy positions, legislative proposals, and respond to inquiries and requests from the EOM, Council of the District of Columbia, City Administrator, Federal and District Government agencies, special groups, etc.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees and coordinates the flow of information and documents between the EOM, agencies, Council, and other stakeholder groups concerning specific legislative and policy matters.
- Participates in the development of strategic plans for legislation; reviews, drafts and facilitates the enactment of proposed agency legislation and rulemakings; monitors and tracks legislation; and manages external communications.
- Conducts in-depth research and analysis of legislative issues and alternatives, including best practice surveys, assessment of the needs for competing proposals, and options for action.
- Prepares and reviews a variety of sensitive and complex reports. Reviews critical legislative correspondence and special requests for information prior to submission to the supervisor.
- Completes projects and assignments which facilitate important policy and procedure decisions, as well as policy and procedure development, formulation, and implementation. Ensures proper preparation of all information, materials, documents, and reports before approval of the Director.
- Participates in the transformation of mayoral and legislative directives into implementable public policy by working with agency directors and staff in formulating goals and measurable objectives that link program interventions to expected outcomes.
- Manages relationships with Executive agencies and Council staff as required to achieve desired outcomes with relation to legislation, hearings, budget, and policy proposals.
- Coordinates with assigned agencies to plan work to be accomplished and gives direction based on goals and priorities identified.
- Prepares memoranda for Director and other EOM staff related to the implications and development of issues.
- Keeps abreast of changes in job-related statutes, laws, and business trends. Attends training programs, workshops, and seminars as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
OTHER SIGNIFICANT FACTS
- Knowledge of OPLA’s mission and its relationship to other District agencies. Knowledge of organizations and the interrelationships of the various agencies within the Executive branch.
- Knowledge and skill in conducting legislative/legal research in connection with the review and interpretation of current and proposed legislation and policy issues. Knowledge of and skill in applying analytical and evaluative methods and techniques to resolve problems, conduct research, and make recommendations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills sufficient to provide clarification, interpretation, and other guidance on existing or proposed legislation.
- Ability to direct partners based on priorities and selective consideration of the difficulty and requirements of the assignments and their capabilities.
- Skill in the use of personal computers, which includes such software as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Outlook.
Powered by JazzHR
Mayor's Office of Talent and Appointments (MOTA)
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?