Matthiesen, Wickert & Lehrer, S.C., a growing national subrogation and litigation firm with offices currently in Hartford, WI; New Orleans, LA; Santa Ana, CA; and Austin, TX, is seeking an experienced and reliable Paralegal/Legal Assistant to join our rapidly growing team as we look to expand to Florida.
Paralegal/Legal Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
- Work directly with attorneys by conducting legal research, scheduling depositions and appointments, maintaining a detailed calendar, preparing drafts of discovery demands and responses, preparing for trial, preparing demand letters, as well as preparing drafts of other various legal documents;
- Documenting and understanding legal proceedings in local and national settings, including utilization of PACER, ECF systems, and local e-filing;
- Converse directly with lawyers, clients, administrative staff, clerical personnel, courtroom staff members;
- Answer phones and take messages as needed;
- Handle pre-suit auto subrogation cases nationwide;
- Proofread legal documents, such as briefs and pleadings;
- Maintain and organize electronic files; update files with case status and information; and
- Manage day-to-day operations of the branch office, as well as assist with the process of setting up and organizing a branch office.
Paralegal/Legal Assistant Requirements and Qualifications
- Associate Degree in Paralegal Studies or certification is a plus
- Knowledge of both Federal and State Court civil procedure is a strong plus
- Knowledge of mediation preparation and medical records summary is a strong plus
- Must have previous law office or corporate legal department experience
- Must be able to handle deadlines and have a strong attention to detail
- Must be able to multi-task and work overtime as needed
- Must be a team player where no task is too small or unimportant when working on projects
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office with a knowledge of document/case management and timekeeping software, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Share File and PACER is a strong plus
- Familiarity with legal procedures locally and nationally
- Computer skills, including word-processing programs, case management programs, timekeeping programs, and court filing; MS Office PowerPoint and Excel experience preferred
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Detail oriented
Salary is negotiable, health/dental insurance provided, 401(k) with employer match.
Matthiesen, Wickert & Lehrer, S.C.
Why Work Here?A full range of insurance services are offered by the experienced attorneys at MWL, including exceptional and knowledgeable representation in the areas of subrogation, civil litigation defense, workers’ compensation defense, insurance coverage, and defense of product liability claims with a focus on Asian manufacturers.
Family-oriented, growing law firm with four locations!