The Staff Accountant reports to the Controller, and this individual must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace.
The Staff Accountant maintains and controls the General Ledger accounts and business transactions of the company, applying the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and a thorough review of financial records. He or she will assist the team in day-to-day activities as well as be carrying out minor tasks and assignments independently as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist the Controller with the day-to-day, monthly and year-end operations of the Accounting/Finance Department
- Performs month-end closing duties for company and affiliate LLCs including bank reconciliations, prepaid expenses, review of job cost, journal entries for depreciation, debt amortization, etc.
- Perform the processing and recording of accounts payable transactions and ensure that all invoices and staff reimbursements are paid accurately and in accordance with Finance policies and procedures
- Prepares annual property tax listings and annual reports for assigned LLCs
- Assist in preparation of quarterly consolidation worksheet for the preparation of consolidated financial statements
- Prepares investor compliance reports for assigned LLCs
- Perform general accounts analysis and reconciliations, including bank statements, fixed assets, employer’s benefit-cost, accruals, and prepaid expenses
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Strong organization skills and ability to work independently, multi-task, make decisions, prioritize and meet assigned deadlines in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Be able to demonstrate attention to details and good-record-keeping
- High level of interpersonal skills with demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to clearly communicate issues to all levels of management
- Demonstrate a proficient level of professional skill and/or knowledge in accounting and keep current with developments and trends.
- Knowledge and ability to use applicable information technology and systems to meet work needs
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, finance or other related majors with a heavy emphasis on accounting required
- Two (2) plus years of progressively responsible corporate and/or public accounting experience
- Advanced Microsoft Excel Skills
- Experience with Quickbooks and Microsoft Dynamics desired