We are searching for an experienced Network Technician (multiple shifts) at our Palmer CO facility.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs work required in connection with the planning, maintenance, repair, testing, installation, monitoring and servicing of all types of service provisioning equipment. Work includes but is not limited to technologies/protocols such as Digital Central offices, Carrier Systems, Radio Networks, SONET, Carrier Class Ethernet Switch/Routers, TCP/IP, Optical Add/Drop Terminals, CWDM/DWDM Terminals, MPLS, ATM and DTM Equipment, any DSL or Frame Relay Equipment and connecting telecommunications interfaces.
The Network Technician may have some or all of the following illustrative tasks:
- Performs full OAM&P functions as required to support MTA’s various network facilities using any of: TCP/IP, ATM, MPLS, DTM and Frame Relay protocols operating a mix of optical and electrical domains.
- Installs and maintains optical level connections using optical test equipment and proper fiber handling techniques.
- Installs and maintains special circuits, trunks, and all related equipment.
- Performs repair/maintenance and installation of private line, data line equipment and MTA’s internal communications facilities.
- Performs system and service level diagnostics using appropriate protocol analyzing equipment or other test equipment.
- Performs repair/maintenance, installation, monitoring and testing of all subscriber, carrier, central office, Radio/Microwave and associated service provisioning equipment.
- Coordinates service efforts with Engineers, vendors and connecting telcos. Ensures that vehicle, supplies, materials, test gear, tools, company premises (including remote sites), and equipment inventory are in proper order.
- Complies with all work rules, traffic laws, safety rules, and company regulations and practices while acting on behalf of MTA. Demonstrate skills and abilities by maintaining acceptable work at required productivity levels.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Specific knowledge of electrical circuitry and its applications, ability to interpret schematics and circuit designs.
- Proven knowledge and skill with Digital Switching, Radio/Microwave and all types of optical connections, splices and optical signal level quality assurance equipment.
- Specific knowledge and ability to operate protocol capture and analysis equipment, in either the electrical or optical domain.
- Thorough knowledge of 7-layer protocol stack and proven ability to troubleshoot using methodical protocol stack functional analysis.
- Knowledge of LAN, MAN and WAN TCP/IP based networks.
- May require a working knowledge of distribution facilities, specifically but not limited to: OSP copper and fiber distribution, MDF, B-box, premise protection, and NIDs, inside plant category five copper distribution (including installation specifications), inside plant multi and single mode fiber distribution including fiber handling, connectorization and verification testing and wireless transmission
- Must be a qualified Journeyman Technician with a minimum of 8,000 hours experience in the following disciplines: Digital Central office equipment and transmission terminal equipment using Technologies such as SONET, carrier class Ethernet switches and routers,TDM, ATM, MPLS,TCP/IP, DSL, Frame relay, Data line equipment, and T1.
- Documented education, training and/or experience in areas of digital switching, data networking and optical systems may also be considered.
- Documented formal training in basic electronic AC-DC theory and Data Networking.
- Ability to perform the physical duties of this position safely.
- Current First Aid/CPR card or demonstrated willingness to obtain one within six months.
- Cannot be color blind.
- Must provide own personal hand tools.
- Must have a valid Alaska Driver’s License.
MTA offers competitive compensation, health insurance, 401(k) plan, annual leave, and more. A complete job description is available upon request.