Massachusetts Water Resources Authority Chelsea, MA
- Posted: January 20, 2021
DEPARTMENT: EQ General
UNION/GRADE: Unit 2/Grade 16
Inspects, maintains, repairs and installs heating, ventilation, air conditioning and odor control equipment and other light maintenance tasks.
Works under the general supervision of a Unit Supervisor.
Exercises supervision of entry level staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Installs, modifies, troubleshoots, repairs and tests new and existing heating, ventilation, air conditioning and odor control systems, equipment, and fixtures.
- Performs HVAC related activities specified by work order.
- Inspects and troubleshoots heating, ventilating, air conditioning and odor control equipment using tools and instrumentation and techniques of the trade.
- Performs preventative, predictive and corrective maintenance on heating, ventilation, air conditioning and odor control equipment according to vendor specifications.
- Installs duct work, hoods, ventilation devices and assemblies using manual and powered tools.
- Obtains necessary parts through established procedures.
- Follows established safety, operating, and emergency response procedures and policies established by MWRA.
- Operates motor vehicles, such as vans and pick-up trucks to pick-up and deliver supplies and equipment to work sites.
- Performs work in a safe and professional manner.
- Trains peers and subordinates as requested.
- Performs, documents and reports results of inspections and work performed.
- Perform work in compliance with Authority Integrated Contingency Plan.
- Operates equipment manually and through instrument panels and programmable logic control units as required in performance of maintenance tasks. Equipment may include, but will not be limited to pumps, valves, gates, meters, gauges, controllers, motor control centers and level control devices.
- Troubleshoots & corrects equipment/systems through the use of condition monitoring methods & equipment.
- Works from manufacturer's manuals and specifications, blueprints, schematics and verbal instructions to install, repair, troubleshoot, inspect, check & maintain mechanical, electrical-mechanical & hydraulic systems.
- Assists other trades in the performance of their work, as required, or as assigned.Performs light maintenance independently or as part of a team. Light maintenance shall include but not limited to: Operates forklift or other light equipment not requiring a special license. Inspects and troubleshoots various systems and equipment.
- Installs and retrofits/new equipment related to plant systems.Modifies and/or aligns existing equipment to specifications. With proper training sets up ladders, staging and rigging and utilizes hoists, jacks, dollies, lifts, etc. for proper access to job and to remove and install equipment. Operates portable pumping, ventilation & other equipment necessary to support assigned task. Greases and lubricates,replaces oil reserves, minor packing adjustments and opens hatches. Installs safety rails. Removes snow from immediate work area in order to perform tasks. Routine testing, lockout/tagout, operation (startup/shutdown) and adjustment of process equipment. Performs necessary cleanup and housekeeping for work areas and other light maintenance tasks. Performs related duties as required.
Promotes and participates in productivity improvement plan. Trains peers and subordinates as requested.
Education and Experience:
- Basic reading, writing, mathematical and oral communication skills as normally attained through a high school education or equivalent; and
- Three (3) to five (5) years experience in the operation, repair and maintenance of industrial HVAC & related equipment; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the standard practices, materials, tools, occupational hazards and safety practices common to the trade.
- Skills in the operation of tools, instruments and equipment of the trades. Thorough knowledge of the standard practices, material, tools, occupational hazards and safety practices common in the trade.
- Trained in Confined Space Entry, CPR and First Aid, and be capable of entering, setting-up, installing, disassembling confined space equipment and ability to work in a confined space.
- Ability to attain knowledge & work processes required to perform maintenance task required by Reliability Centered Maintenance or similar Maintenance Management Program.
- Possession of a Valid Class D Operator's License. Possession of a Mass. Refrigeration License
- Complete competency based training program related to ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES as outlined above and successfully demonstrates required competencies.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Motor vehicle, power and hand tools, hoist, mobile truck radio, beeper.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential functions the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, talk, hear, sit, climb or balance.
The work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts, and is occasionally exposed to fumes and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electric shock. This job is hearing protection required and the noise level in the work environment is very loud in field settings and moderately loud at pumping stations.
Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) is an equal-opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national, ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.
Massachusetts Water Resources Authority
ConstructionView all jobs at Massachusetts Water Resources Authority