Under general direction of Unit Operations Manager and Technical Manager, individual performs a variety of patient contact duties related to the operations of radiologic equipment to make clinical diagnostic X-ray images as directed by a physician. Explains safety protocols and routine diagnostic procedures to patients. The individual must have the capability of performing routine diagnostic procedures with speed, method, accuracy utilizing various radiographic equipment such as fluoroscopic and diagnostic equipment as related to the area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct equipment system warm-up and quality assurance procedures according to established guidelines to ensure a safe and effective equipment operation.
- Follow Radiology Patient Identification Policy
- Correctly interpret exam requests making sure history conform to exam requested
- Positions and instructs patients regarding the procedures and be cognizant of patient's condition at all times
- Arrange, attach or adjust immobilization and supportive devices to obtain the desired radiographic positions. The goal is to prevent patients from moving, lessen patient discomfort and to ensure their safety.
- Select proper exposure factors for procedure using the principle of ALARA when obtaining images
- Adjust lead shield(s) and collimates to protect unaffected parts of the body from exposure to radiation. Directs personnel to safe area before exposure
- Maintain a high level of quality assurance for finished radiographs, safe and clean working environment
- Acquire and maintain knowledge of Radiation Safety, Hospital and Departmental Policies
- Maintain knowledge of the location of emergency equipment, code carts and the procedure necessary to alert the Code Team and Rapid Response Team
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism at all times.
Successful completion of an accredited school of Radiologic Technology
Licensed by the Massachusetts Radiation Control Board
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and medical terminology
- Knowledge of the principles of radiation physics and ALARA
- Knowledge of radiographic positioning and radiographic equipment
- Knowledge of universal precautions