Since 1851, MassMutual's commitment has always been to help people protect their families, support their communities, and help one another. This is why we want to inspire people to Live Mutual. We're people helping people.
A career with us means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
Together, we're stronger.Description
At MassMutual, we're passionate about helping millions of people find financial freedom and this passion has driven our approach to developing highly interactive digital experiences for our customers. The Data Engineering team, part of MassMutual's Customer Experience organization, is comprised of highly skilled, collaborative, problem solvers who are motivated to create innovative solutions that exceed the changing needs of our customers and move MassMutual - and the industry - forward.
To help us achieve our mission, we are hiring a Data Architect to join our team.
What great looks like in this role
Our ideal Data Architect is experienced working in an Agile development environment and has an understanding of SDLC. You have at least five years' experience in enterprise, application, and information data architecture design. You're also an excellent communicator with the confidence to present to executive level audiences. You'll use your skills to participate in the design, development, and implementation of architectural deliverables. You'll also contribute to the development and maintenance of data applications including the data, software, and infrastructure architectures. The team culture of working collaboratively and cross-functionally, using new technologies combined with the work/life balance provided by MassMutual are core reasons people enjoy working on the Data Engineering team at MassMutual.
Objectives of this role
- Participate in design, development and implementation of architectural deliverables, to include components of the assessment and optimization of system design and review of user requirements.
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of data applications including the data, software and infrastructure architectures and assures that this architecture is integrated with the business area architectures and the enterprise data architecture.
- Assures that the data application architecture is consistent with enterprise application standards and disaster recovery plan requirements.
Daily and monthly responsibilities
- Provides technical knowledge and capabilities as a team member and individual contributor.
- Provide strategic thinking, solutions, and roadmaps while driving architectural recommendations.
- Maintain current and future state architecture.
- Provide conceptual and logical data architecture design.
- Provide IT architecture direction to business areas.
- Serves as a fully seasoned and proficient technical resource; provide technical knowledge and capabilities as team member and individual contributor.
- May lead multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Will not have direct reports but will influence and direct activities of a team related to special initiatives or operations.
- Bachelor's degree in computer engineering, computer science, information systems, or related field.
- 5+ years in enterprise, application and information data architecture design.
- Vertica database
- Insurance background like Life Insurance or any other insurance related products
- Ability to clearly present to senior management with confidence.
- Database and application development experience in relational databases and cloud technologies.
- Understanding of big data technologies; Data Lake and Big Data modeling experience.
- Experience data modeling in transactional and operational reporting and analytical (EDW, Data Lake, NoSQL) solutions.
- Experience with capacity planning, database scripting and package deployment.
- Experience with data replication methodology.
- Experience with data warehouse, Data Mart, or Data Lake.
- Expertise in tuning and debugging SQL and resolving application specific bottlenecks.
- Experience using (Erwin, TOAD, or any other data modeling tool) for data modeling.
- Experience with cloud-based databases and data warehouses.
- Working knowledge of data security frameworks, data quality frameworks, metadata management & data catalogs, and data governance frameworks.
- Authorized to work in the United States with or without sponsorship now or in the future.
- Advanced degree in computer engineering, computer science, information systems, or related field.
- Able to work independently.
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark, and Kafka is a plus.
- Experience with Scala is a plus.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience facilitating meetings and providing presentations to stakeholders and senior leaders.
- Excellent communication, problem solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- Understanding of enterprise and reporting modeling concepts, including dimensional modeling, snowflakes, slowly changing dimensions, schema on read, irregular dimensions, and surrogate, compound, and intelligent keys.
- Ability to articulate the value of getting solutions built using established data principles.
- Data Modeling, Data Warehousing, Dimensional Modeling, Data Modeling for Big data and Metadata Management.
- Experience in data modeling and design in the insurance and financial industries.
- Advanced knowledge of application, data, and infrastructure disciplines.
- Ability to develops prototypes of the system design and works with database, operations, technical support and other IT areas as appropriate throughout development and implementation processes.
Working at MassMutual
A career at MassMutual means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
Ranked No. 93 in the annual FORTUNE 500 Ranking (FORTUNE Magazine, June 2018) and recognized as a World's Most Ethical Company by Ethisphere, MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It's more than our company structure - it's our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources, and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.
Focus on the Customer: We understand our customers well and look for every opportunity to deliver an experience that is clear, easy, personal, human, empowering and trustworthy.
Act with Integrity: We deliver on our promises by being open, honest and humble and by adhering to the letter and spirit of applicable laws, rules, regulations and company policies.
Value People: We respect and learn from each other's diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas. We engage and develop people to their greatest potential.
Work Collaboratively: We work together to achieve results by actively listening, seeking, understanding and creating solutions as a unified team driving toward one company, one culture, one brand.