As a Medical Assistant (MA) at MASS LUNG & ALLERGY (MLA) this position performs a wide variety of duties and responsibilities in a manner that places emphasis on quality of care and customer service. The incumbent must work collaboratively with all Clinical services staff in support of direct patient services, exhibiting flexibility and a “can-do” attitude. Patient services are the key priority in this position requiring the MA to serve as a point of contact with other internal and external departments, all with the goal of fostering an environment which promotes patient comfort and trust. The position must exemplify the core values and mission of the organization, always exercising utmost discretion, diplomacy and tact in patient/staff interactions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Each medical assistant will be assigned to a provider and will be responsible for caring for that provider’s needs, including rooming, administrative work, and the possibility to traveling to the locations in which that provider may be working.
· Prepares for patient appointments by reviewing and updating patient records (chart check) and maintains exam rooms according to protocol for stocking and cleaning
· Performs clinical tasks to include but not limited to greeting patients and directing to appropriate exam room, confirms the patient’s identity by asking name and date of birth, checks weight, height, temp, blood pressure, respiration, and heart rate; verifies allergies, and reconciles medication lists; educates patients the on proper use of inhalers, nebulizer, and other durable medical equipment; oximetry trending, alpha 1 testing, dispensing samples, administering immunizations, ordering labs and diagnostic imaging, administering nebulizer treatments, and assisting physicians during procedure
· Performs administrative tasks to include but not limited to chart prep, scheduling follow ups, obtaining prior auths for services or medication, answering the patients phone calls or returning messages from physicians, scheduling procedures, booking referral appts, distributing fax log, registering and scheduling new patients, and checking in patients as needed.
· Provides support to Clinical Practice Manager as assigned and as necessary for the smooth and efficient operation of the practice.
· QUALIFICATIONS EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· High school Graduate (or GED) required.
· Current, valid Certification of Medical Assistant through a nationally recognized accrediting agency such as the AAMA or RMA.
· Current, valid CPR certification.
· Familiarity with community / service area.
· Experience as Medical Assistant in a profit setting highly desirable
· Ability to travel to other offices