The Server/ Network System Engineer is responsible for the server, storage, network, operating systems and access rights administration across the infrastructure. This includes recommendation, configuration, installation, support and deployment of all server, network, storage and backup/archive technology, including operating systems and management tools and associated software applications supported by the Infrastructure Group.
The role also ensures the stable operation of the in-house iSeries & midrange server systems, administration, storage platforms and network connections to ensure high levels of availability and security of the supported business applications.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy & Planning
- Engineering, designing, configuring, installing, integrating, maintaining and troubleshooting of enterprise Server System, Network, Storage & Backup/Archive technology and server administration
- Assessment and optimization of the server system, storage networks and date networks, through network monitoring, statistics and daily health checks.
- Planning technology roadmaps to Wintel, VM, AD, Network, Storage, Backup/Archive & Management Tools services.
- Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures and associated training plans for server system resource administration, appropriate use and disaster recovery.
- Endures quarterly audit of all user access rights are reviewed, approved and updated across all systems.
- Develop technical specifications and business cases to support new service acquisitions.
- Maintain industry knowledge on industry trends and new services ie Cloud computing, virtualization.
- Develop, manage and architect methods of patch management, server hardening and operational efficiencies.
- Develop sustainable and expandable network architecture solutions.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Coordinate (as required) with the Network, Desktop Engineer and System admin teams, business application, and database administration functions to implement desktop and server systems that utilize industry best practices to meet corporate objectives.
- Install and configure storage devices and corresponding software.
- May act as Infrastructure lead for major IT projects and participates as subject expert for Scattered Packets major projects.
- Establish and maintain service level agreements with vendors, coordinate with support desk on monthly publication of SLA
- Administer Server Environments, including supporting specific Enterprise Technologies such as Exchange, Mobile Device Technology, VMWare, Active Directory, SharePoint, file shares, web services (IIS) and windows networking and management services.
- Responsible for implementation of all updates to the production environment via the change management tool and process.
- Monitor and maintain network infrastructure as well as relationships with external providers.
- Respond to all system alerts – error indicators, error messages, failures, and peripheral malfunctions.
- Securing/monitoring all system access
- Manage and operate the data mirroring solution at remote DR Site.
- Lead and participate in the annual DR Test
- Ensure system backups are scheduled and run.
- Communicate and enforce, through system procedures, data storage retention policies.
- Anticipate, mitigate, identify, respond to, and resolve issues with storage devices, storage access, and data retrieval.
- Monitor, analyze and predict trends for storage equipment performance, space allocation and data growth to recommend enhancements to the IT Storage team.
- Develop routines for end-users to facilitate storage best practices.
- Create, or support creation of, required reports in response to business user needs.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior team members.
- Ensure the integrity and security of enterprise data on host computers and during data transfer in accordance to business needs and industry best-practices regarding privacy, security and regulatory compliance.
- Manage end-user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations in accordance with best-practices regarding privacy, security and regulatory compliance.
- Assist in Server System security audits.
- Perform and test routine system backups and restores.
- Anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and software problems on servers. Escalate incidents as necessary.
- Practice Server, SAN & Backup asset management, maintenance and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Support application development teams throughout project lifecycles.
- Analyze system, server, application, network and input/output device performance.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software and hardware improvements, upgrades, patches, reconfigurations, and/or purchases.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of systems software procurement and development efforts.
- Create required audit reports in response to business user needs.
- Participate in negotiations with vendors, outsourcers and contractors to secure software products and services.
- OnCall Rotation with other team members.
- Provide backup to team members in their absence.
Sales & Service Orientation
Committed to serving and satisfying the needs of the external and internal members/clients through the delivery of superior value while building, strengthening and maintaining long-term relationships.
Demonstrates the desire to continually grow, learn and develop skills and knowledge through external and internal education, training, and cross-training opportunities to maximize personal contribution to the organizational goals and ongoing career development.
Demonstrates the ability to receive and understand information and respond verbally or in writing when interacting with others.
Job Specifications & Technical Requirements
Formal Education & Certification
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or a relevant combination of equivalent training and work experience.
- Certifications, technical training or experience with Windows Server and VMWare ESX.
- Microsoft Active Directory, SharePoint, and Exchange 2010 experience is required
- MCSE, MCP, VMWare and/or other relevant certification is required.
- CCNA or equivalent with experience in Cisco HP Environment
Knowledge & Experience
- Extensive knowledge of virtualization solutions, particularly VMWare, Microsoft Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint.
- Extensive practical knowledge of data input/output procedures and system backup protocols.
- Strong experience with the core banking software application ICBS.
- Extensive technical command of scripting languages (powershell, VBS, etc.)
- Strong technical knowledge of Windows operating systems (W2K, W2K3, W2K8, r2, XP, Win7)
- Good understanding of the organizations goals and objectives.
- Experience with Disaster Recovery is desirable
- Strong technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards.
- Extensive hands-on software and hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information
- Effective communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Extremely strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience/knowledge in the installation and configuration of hardware/software
- Strong knowledge of network management in a Cisco and HP Environment.
- On-Call availability as required (rotating schedule)
- 35+hr work week.
Masis Professional Group
Why Work Here?
Become a key member of a growing company!