We are seeking an Operations Supervisor for our greenhouse operation! The ideal candidates will be great managers of people and unafraid to take on an HR-like role with the staff. The person filling this position will be a punctual, expectations and results driven manager to help employees get to and stay within their production guidelines.
Hours: 8 hour days (7/8am-3/4pm), Monday - Friday and alternating Saturdays for an average of 44 hours per week.
- Self directed - sets regular goals and aligns time, resources, priorities to meet goals, ensures deadlines are met, communicates well ahead of time if there are concerns with completing goals.
- Flexible - able to re-prioritize tasks. We might encounter a heavy shipping day, and orders become greater priorities, willingness to flex as things become more important
- Team player - identifies when teammates have higher volume of work and is willing to flex to cover immediate needs and to make sure company goals are met.
- Perceptive - recognizes opportunities ahead of time
- Self aware, takes responsibility, has initiative
- Willingness to learn and to try new things in order to produce a better plant, to improve the company, to help fellow employees
- Respectful - please & thank you are important. Cares about relationships with other people - within the company, with customers, with suppliers. Aware and contentious of impact of one's actions on other people.
Operations Supervisor Responsibilities
● Responsible for determining daily work assignments for greenhouse employees based upon priorities, deadlines, and the time needed to complete tasks.
● Prioritizes the following tasks and sets the crew assignments based on importance
○ Daily order requirements - pulling of plants, loading truck(s) with finished product, moving plants between the two locations.
○ Production tasks - hanging, spacing, moving plants to get them ready for their finished state for sales
○ Greenhouse cleanliness and sanitation - weeding, cleaning walkways, cleaning under benches, checking for any irrigation issues (emitters, catch pots), flushing irrigation lines, fixing tables
● Accomplish daily required tasks while also making progress towards long term goals
● Determine the daily workflow of orders and instruct the Order Processing Lead when to print labels and put orders into the greenhouse.
● Supervises quality control on outgoing orders and ensures that all plants meet quality expectations with the help of the Order Processing Lead.
● Walk through monthly with the House Leads. Evaluate job performance and identify any individual issues that need to be addressed in the house including labor and performance issues.
● Works side by side with greenhouse employees on orders, production, sanitation tasks to assist with the work and set expectations on job completion and pace.
● Give instruction to, explain procedures to and set priorities with a Spanish speaking workforce.
● Assist employees in performing specific duties correctly and in an efficient manner.
● Maintain proper records and work with inspectors.
● Conduct regular safety inspections
● Manage employees.
○ Review time cards daily.
○ Hold monthly tailgate meetings
○ Assist in new employee orientation.
○ Train employees in safety procedures, company policies and ensure compliance.
○ Implement disciplinary procedures when necessary.
○ Assist in hiring of new employees.
Operations Supervisor Skills & Abilities
● Excellent time-management skills
● Able to estimate the time requirements for tasks
● Effectively plan and prioritize tasks
● Maintain confidentiality
● Strong focus with utmost attention to detail
● Ability to supervise, motivate, and work with people.
● Integrity, reliability, honesty
● Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers, visitors, and employees of organization.
● Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
● Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Word Processing
- Spreadsheet Software - be able to add data to spreadsheets and run pivot tables in Google docs to pull information
- Order Processing systems
Operations Supervisor Qualifications
● A.S./A.A. Degree (or higher) or vocational Agricultural experience preferred.
● Requires a minimum of three years supervisory experience.
● Bilingual in English and Spanish.
● Possess a valid Class C driver’s license.
● Knowledge of greenhouse/nursery operations and equipment preferred.
● First aid certification required after hire.
● Regularly move between work areas as necessary and walk several miles per day.
● Regularly stand, bend at the waist, and kneel.
● Regularly move equipment and crews between work areas as necessary.
● Frequently climb up and down from equipment.
● Frequently reach with hands and arms.
● Frequently demonstrate operation procedures.
● Frequently manipulate small hand tools, such as screwdrivers, wrenches and sockets.
● Regularly see color & distinguish slight color gradients as it pertains to plant health.
● Regularly hear & listen for sounds and smell odors that indicate potential issues in the GH environment.
● Frequently operate a forklift
● Occasionally lift and move up to 80 pounds.
● Exposure to outdoor weather, pollen, insects, dust, sharp metal surfaces, wet & humid conditions, moderate noise with frequent loud noises, agricultural chemicals and uneven surfaces.
Masis Professional Group
Why Work Here?
Our mission is simple. Bring together outstanding talent and great organizations.