Vice President & Senior Counsel - Corporate Legal Affairs
Marriott's Law Department services the Company's lodging and hospitality business and provides legal advice and counsel to Marriott's internal clients. This attorney position is part of the Corporate Legal Affairs practice group with a particular focus on SEC reporting and securities law regulation, compliance, and disclosure.
While SEC reporting and securities law regulation, compliance, and disclosure will be the attorney's primary focus, this position will also serve as a generalist within the Corporate Legal Affairs practice group, which provides legal support for the following areas: (i) corporate and project finance, capital markets, and treasury; (ii) mergers & acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, and other significant corporate-level transactions; (iii) SEC reporting and securities law regulation, compliance, and disclosure; (iv) investor relations and corporate communications; (v) environmental, social, and governance (ESG); (vi) corporate governance; (vii) executive compensation; and (viii) global entity management.
This position reports directly to the Senior Vice President & Associate General Counsel - Corporate Legal Affairs.
While the VP & Senior Counsel will have a particular focus on securities law regulation, compliance, and disclosure, the position is intended to be a generalist within the Corporate Legal Affairs practice group, supporting the broad range of matters within the purview of the group, including the following:
- In collaboration with the Company's finance and accounting teams, directly support and lead the Company's SEC reporting efforts and compliance with all other aspects of relevant securities laws and regulations, including work on Annual Reports on Form 10-K, Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, Periodic Reports on Form 8-K, Proxy Statements, and other filings and disclosure materials.
- Work closely with the Company's Investor Relations department on various aspects of the Company's investor relations program, including the Company's quarterly earnings process, shareholder engagement, and support for security analyst meetings and other special events, including issue spotting, advice, and counseling on Regulation FD.
- Lead the Company's insider trading compliance program, including maintenance of a securities trading policy that addresses relevant legal requirements, developments, and trends, and oversee the Company's quarterly securities trading window closure process.
- Monitor trends in securities laws, regulations, and interpretations, as well as disclosures made by peers and other public companies, and update Company disclosure and policy documents and Law Department and Company leadership accordingly.
- Support the Company's capital return program, facilitating appropriate governance, documentation, and attention to legal issues pertinent to stock repurchases and dividends.
- Work closely with the Company's Global Communications and Public Affairs department on significant Company press releases, executive communications, and other corporate communications and public relations matters and events.
- Collaborate with the VP & Senior Counsel, ESG on a broad range of reporting and disclosure matters.
- Directly support the Company's public debt transactions and other '33 Act transactions, managing cross-discipline teams as appropriate.
- Provide a range of legal support for other corporate finance and treasury transactions, including leading related projects and providing support for the Company's multi-billion dollar credit agreement, commercial paper program, corporate bank account matters, loans and guaranties, and finance special projects.
- Provide transactional leadership and advice and counsel to the Global M&A team on M&A transactions, joint ventures, venture capital investments, and other significant corporate transactions. Lead and coordinate cross-discipline and Law Department project teams to support due diligence, document negotiation, and all other aspects of transactions. Prepare and counsel on NDAs and support integration / post-closing work.
- As relevant to the scope of corporate legal matters outlined above, support the Company's engagement with cross-industry initiatives and associations, including Business Roundtable and American Hotel & Lodging Association.
The range of legal services to be provided in support of the above include: Drafting, reviewing, and editing disclosure documents, reports and other documents; drafting, reviewing, and editing a wide range of transaction documents; spotting and effectively addressing legal and regulatory issues; legal research and analysis, including updates to stakeholders on trends and recommendations for modifications to policies, programs and practices; partnering with relevant business disciplines to update, develop, and implement policies and compliance programs; and providing strategic advice and counseling related to the above topics.
Together with the Senior Vice President & Associate General Counsel - Corporate Legal Affairs, the VP & Senior Counsel will be responsible for evaluating, recommending, and implementing staffing and project management decisions across the practice group and fostering the professional development and engagement of the staff on the Corporate Legal Affairs team. The VP & Senior Counsel is expected to proactively engage in Law Department and Company-wide initiatives and special projects.
Requirements for Position
Successful candidates should possess the experience, knowledge, and skills as follows:
- Excellent academic record with a law degree preferably from a top law school;
- Active Bar membership;
- Minimum of 12 years legal experience with significant expertise in securities law and corporate transactions preferred;
- Deep expertise in, and ability to stay abreast of, securities laws, regulations, developments, and trends, being fully conversant in relevant legal and other regulatory requirements and developments;
- Ability to work independently, take ownership, resolve problems, and influence without coercion;
- Ability to foster relationships, build rapport, and drive accountability across the organization;
- Strong business acumen and the ability to develop and deliver guidance and expertise across a complex business and operating landscape with various stakeholder groups and perspectives;
- Ability to expeditiously identify and analyze issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason;
- Ability to synthesize and simplify complex legal and business issues and concisely communicate with Law Department and Company leadership;
- Ability to think creatively, to lead multiple and complex matters, and to collaborate effectively with clients, peers, and others;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work under stressful conditions with internal stakeholders and third parties;
- Strong leadership skills - ability to manage and lead teams, motivate and develop talent, and provide effective guidance, coaching, and feedback;
- Outstanding analytical, writing, and oral presentation skills; and
- Flexibility for travel.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
About the Team
Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. Be where you can do your best work, begin your purpose, belong to an amazing global team, and become the best version of you.
7750 Wisconsin AvenueBethesda, MD
Get fresh Vice President & Senior Counsel - Corporate Legal Affairs jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.