In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Outpatient
Services Technician is responsible for providing a full service of
patient registration and other basic care responsibilities in the
Outpatient Services center. Basic patient care functions will include
phlebotomy, EKG, drug/alcohol screening and specimen collection, etc.
Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict
confidentiality at all times.
? High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent required
? Completion of a board eligible phlebotomy course with
certification obtained preferred
? Additional coursework in Medical Assisting or previous
hospital, physician office or other healthcare setting experience
? Basic Life Support (BLS) required - will obtain during
? Typing, spelling, basic medical terminology, interpersonal
skills and familiarity with computers
1. Provides safe environment for care of patients.
2. Maintains strict confidentiality at all times.
3. Accurately interprets written and verbal orders from physicians.
Collects specimens appropriate to order.
4. Performs services such as ECG's, drug screens and nasal washings
as needed to ensure efficient patient treatment.
5. Demonstrates appropriate use of AIDET when registering patients.
6. Enters new patient data and/or verifies patient records are
up-to-date, confirms the completeness of the electronic health record
(EHR), makes changes as necessary, and completes an accurate
7. Verifies insurance eligibility and benefits on each patient.
8. Performs estimations on ordered tests.
9. Collects out-of-pocket liabilities from patients upfront and
applies and reconciles daily point-of-service cash reports.
10. Refers patient accounts to financial counselors when further
explanation/education is needed regarding out-of-pocket liabilities,
payment plans, etc.
11. Maintains compliance in RQI.