The purpose of the Production Manager position is to assist employees to be successful as they produce and ship the desired product; maintaining accuracy in volume, excellence in quality, adherence to production and shipping schedules in an efficient and cost-effective manner, and a focus on a safety first environment. In addition, they will facilitate the continuous improvement of plant performance.
The primary purpose of the position is to coordinate the overall production activities of the plant by leading the salary supervisory and hourly teams. This will be accomplished through close coordination with the Shipping and Engineering teams. Additionally, the Production Manager facilitates and coordinates all quality related functions pertaining to the plant via the Quality team. This position participates in the overall management of the plant and plays a key role in the continuous improvement of all processes and performance metrics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manages the safety and health factors in all processes.
- Maximizes yields (product to raw material ratios).
- Minimizes any Quality related issues that contribute to any off-specification products.
- Maximizes throughput (gallons product per cycle time).
- Maximizes equipment use.
- Maintains oversight of scheduling and timing of production.
- Provides leadership and training support.
- Organizes, directs, and develops personnel with a Team approach.
- Coordinates through the management/supervision Team current and future production, warehousing, and shipping requirements. Additionally, build and maintain an open and working rapport with the Sister Plants.
- Implements plans and checks on progress.
- Monitor and approve time/attendance for production staff.
- Arrange coverage when approving vacations or days off.
Education and/or Experience:
- Ten years or more of food manufacturing operational leadership experience.
- Experience in manufacturing environments that use continuous improvement tools in the areas of lean manufacturing and statistics.
- College education: Bachelor’s degree in a business, science, or engineering field
- Dairy experience desired but not mandatory
- SAP experience
Other Skills and abilities:
- Strong Leadership skills
- Capable and effective at developing the skills, knowledge, confidence, and commitment of people
- Has a desire to work with others toward common objectives - team oriented.
- Can make independent rational decisions - works under minimal supervision.
- Able to work long hours and different shifts if necessary
Materials and Equipment Directly Used:
- Factory environment and dairy equipment
- Office machinery including: Computers, printer, fax machine, copier, telephones, etc.
- Software including: Microsoft Office (excel, word), Outlook.
Language, Presentation, and Math skills:
- Effective communication, both written and verbal
- Able to deliver short presentations to small groups
- Able to do basic algebra
- Opening to learning new management skills as needed.
Reasoning and Learning Ability:
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Knows how to learn and enjoys learning new things.
- Requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds regularly; up to 50 pounds frequently; up to 70 occasionally.
- Work area is frequently loud with exposure to inside and outside environments including extreme cold, noise, vibration, hazards, and atmospheric conditions.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
We are cultivators of fresh, wholesome and nourishing dairy goodness. A simple and honest pursuit achieved by creating products people crave and operating with passion and integrity.
Founded in 1920 by a small group of dairy farmers dedicated to supplying the nation’s capital with farm-fresh milk, our community has grown to 1,000 farmers-strong, with members spanning from Pennsylvania to Georgia.
Today, this farmer-led cooperative hangs its hat on providing safe and nutritious products that dairy lovers across the globe have come to know for nearly 100 years.
Maola MilkMaryland & Virginia Milk Producers Cooperative Association (Maola Milk): We are cultivators of fresh, wholesome and nourishing dairy goodness. A simple and honest pursuit achieved by creating products people crave and operating with passion and integrity. Founded in 1920 by a small group of dairy farmers dedicated to supplying the nation’s capital with farm-fresh milk, our community has grown to 1,000 farmers-strong, with members spanning from Pennsylvania to Georgia. Today, this farmer-led cooperative hangs its hat on providing safe and nutritious products that dairy lovers across the globe have come to know for nearly 100 years.
Newport News, VA