Maola Milk (MD&VA Milk Producers) Newport News, VA
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life insurance, medical, vision,
Maola Milk (MD&VA Milk Producers Cooperative Association)
Lab Tech - Newport News, VA
Applies principles of microbiology, chemistry, physics, engineering, and economics to monitor methods of production, preservation, and utilization of milk and other dairy products. Perform standardized tests to determine quantity or quality of branded products to insure compliance with company or government quality standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITITES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conduct testing to determine causes for contamination in finished product that directly affect quality, shelf life, flavor and color.
- Conduct testing to determine quality of incoming ingredients, including raw milk and ingredients for formulated products.
- Conduct testing as outlined in Standard Methods for the Examination of Milk Products for: butterfat (using Babcock method and FOSS FT-120), total solids (using CEM solids tester and FOSS FT-120), direct microscopic counts, antibiotic content (using Charm ROSA method), sediment testing, standard plate counts (using 3-M Petrifilm and Easy Gel Plates), total coliform counts (using 3-M Petrifilm), yeast and mold counts (using 3-M Petrifilm and Easy Gel Plates), homogenization efficiency (using Gaulin EQA analyzer), pasteurization efficiency (using Charm LumT), titratable acidity on raw milk, cream, recycle milk products.
- Perform weight checks on product by check weighing all incoming samples.
- Perform volumetric determination of container fills.
- Perform chemical concentration checks on central sanitizer system, on foot spray systems, on CIP cleaners and sanitizers as needed.
- Conduct water quality testing of chilled water systems through the use of pH monitoring and coliform testing.
- Conduct environmental testing in the production areas using ATP swabs (to determine gross contamination), SPOT Check swabs (to determine the presence of milk as an allergen), sponging for the presence/absence of Listeria monocytogenes, and air plates.
- Perform organoleptic testing on raw milk, finished bottled product, shelf life samples at 7-days, at code date and at 4 days past code date (milks only).
- Perform viscosities using Zahn cups on ice cream mixes, eggnog, buttermilk, and chocolate milk before packaging, and on packaged products.
- Aid in investigating customer complaints and work with sales to determine causes of product failures in the marketplace.
- Validate test results through the use of controls and standards in the operation of laboratory equipment.
- Communicate problems to appropriate plant supervisory personnel in a timely way.
- Calibrate thermometers plant-wide using approved laboratory methods.
- Perform split samples with the Virginia Dept. of Health.
- Become certified and maintain certification for antibiotic testing through biennial on-site evaluation by the state LEO (Laboratory Evaluation Officer) and annual split sampling program.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- All associates are responsible for restocking disposable items and making supplies as needed without prompting from others.
- Aid in maintaining company environmental storm water policy.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate Degree or B.S. in Food or Biological Sciences or a minimum of two years’ experience in a QA/QC position working in a food, chemical, or agricultural manufacturing facility preferred.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of PC based systems; expertise in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to work independently as well as maintain constructive working relationships with people at all levels of the organization (both inside and outside the company).
- Requires reaching, handling and near vision; able to lift light weights (up to 36 pounds maximum or 10 pounds frequently), and stand for up to 7 hours.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate/high. Will be exposed to wet/slippery work conditions. Will be in contact with water and dairy liquids.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
We are cultivators of fresh, wholesome and nourishing dairy goodness. A simple and honest pursuit achieved by creating products people crave and operating with passion and integrity.
Founded in 1920 by a small group of dairy farmers dedicated to supplying the nation’s capital with farm-fresh milk, our community has grown to 1,000 farmers-strong, with members spanning from Pennsylvania to Georgia.
Today, this farmer-led cooperative hangs its hat on providing safe and nutritious products that dairy lovers across the globe have come to know for nearly 100 years.
Maola Milk (MD&VA Milk Producers)
Maryland & Virginia Milk Producers Cooperative Association (Maola Milk): We are cultivators of fresh, wholesome and nourishing dairy goodness. A simple and honest pursuit achieved by creating products people crave and operating with passion and integrity. Founded in 1920 by a small group of dairy farmers dedicated to supplying the nation’s capital with farm-fresh milk, our community has grown to 1,000 farmers-strong, with members spanning from Pennsylvania to Georgia. Today, this farmer-led cooperative hangs its hat on providing safe and nutritious products that dairy lovers across the globe have come to know for nearly 100 years.
5500 Chestnut Ave.Newport News, VA