The objective of this position is to over-see all aspects of engineering/drafting as indicated. This position will work closely with the Director of Operations, Project Management, Materials and Production.
Objectives of the engineering department include:
- Satisfy all project schedules set forth by the Director and Project Manager.
- Create and direct the adherence to drawing submittal schedule.
- Promote the adherence to estimated hourly drafting budgets by all individuals and projects.
- Ensure that all Drafters are aware of their budgets.
- Notify Project Management when added scope requires drafting hours.
- Review project hours reports on a weekly basis.
- Analyze productivity of individuals and adjust as needed.
- Satisfy production schedules by project.
- Direct the flow of shop drawings throughout the process of revision and release to materials and production.
- Satisfy overall shop production needs.
- Implement and ensure established drafting standards, including:
- Completeness and accuracy
- Consistency of Nomenclatures
- Management of 3rd party vendors.
- Maintain and advise on department equipment.
Primary responsibilities of the Engineering Supervisor:
- Manage the production schedule of all projects.
- Manage the estimated drafting hours budgeted.
- Promote proper communications between all departments.
- Promote, instruct, and maintain proper established procedures throughout the staff.
- Responsible for identifying needs regarding technical training of department personnel.
- Maintain appropriate staffing for the department.
- Maintain production schedules for projects under your control by actively managing the Engineering Department.
- Continuously monitor projects under your control for potential issues which could prevent the process from moving forward and address accordingly.
- Manager project schedules under your control with the monthly production schedule and advise appropriate personnel.
- Manage the in-house drafting team.
- Coordinate drawing submittal schedules to the satisfaction of projects under your control.
- Maintain designer’s intent for drawing approval.
- Incorporate needs of constructability into shop drawings.
- Comply with project estimates.
- Monitor and document department status for projects under your control.
- Monitor project & production schedules on a weekly basis.
- Actively manage drafting team members based upon ever-changing project priorities.
- Coordinate communications with project managers and the drafting team.
- Coordinate design details to the satisfaction of all project’s schedules.
- Encourage communications that ensures work is released in the most efficient way.
- Manage drafting out-source team.
- Establish and maintain a working relationship with various drafting contractors that fit the needs of the company.
- Identify early, when to bring in outside help in order to maintain project schedules as required.
- An understanding of which vendor to use on each type of project is required.
- integrate drafting vendor into our daily drafting process.
- Maintain department equipment, making recommendations to the Director.
- Hardware including personal computers, wide format plotter/scanner.
- Current software includes AutoCAD, Revit and Inventor.
- Works closely with and reports to Director of Operations.
- Communicate regularly with Director and Project Management staff to maintain a common understanding of schedule.
- Communicate with Plant Manager and Assistant.
- Respond to direct requests from the Director of Operations.
- Work with Director as required to maintain the departments.
- Work with site Superintendents on information asked for and required.
- Participate in project meetings with the appropriate personnel.
- Understand and manage the competence, technical or otherwise, of persons working in your and the related departments.
- Inspire work to be done well and within budget limitations.
- Qualified candidates will preferably have a bachelor’s degree in Architectural Engineering, or related field.
- 3-5 years of experience managing a drafting, or engineering department.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage individuals, teams, and process.
- Strong ability to read blueprints and architectural drawings.
- Working knowledge of fabrication practices within the construction industry.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD’s latest version.
- Working knowledge of Inventor.
- Experience with MS Excel required.