The Turnaround Manager is responsible for the safe and efficient planning, scheduling, cost control, execution, follow-up and documentation of turnarounds. This position coordinates the TARs onsite from front-end loading thru execution phases, as well as post-TAR identification of, and action on, lessons learned. This position is accountable for leading the TAR team to achieve defined milestones around safety, environmental, outage duration, cost, and driving continual improvement in our TAR processes.
This role is accountable to deliver the goals and objectives of the TAR (i.e., safety, environmental, cost, schedule, and unit performance optimization) through the development, budgeting, and execution of TAR projects, leading a team of in-house and contract personnel, as well as to create, document, and continually improve TAR processes. The TAR Manager will develop and maintain an effectively trained and motivated team of individuals with technical expertise to handle TAR planning, scheduling, cost monitoring, and field execution.
- Proactively engage contractors to ensure they understand safety expectations and any issues are dealt with promptly.
- Ensure safety and environmental incidents are properly reported and followed-up, as needed.
- Lead incident investigations to identify root causes and corrective recommendations to prevent reoccurrence.
- Participate and/or support team members' participation in incident investigations, Management of Change, Process Hazard Analysis/LOPA. Maintain the management of change system on the impacted unit(s). The tasks for doing this include performance of PHA, updating of required drawings and records and final documentation of project changes. Ensure technical resolution of all resultant recommendations from major unit HAZOP studies and other safety audits.
- Support integrity management
- Scheduling and planning of Preventative Maintenance
- Review task list to ensure proper maintenance in accordance with manufacture's recommendations and best engineering/maintenance practices
- Ensure adherence to all Maintenance procedures
- Ensure TAR responsibilities support and are consistent with ISO 9002 and ISO 14001 certification objectives.
- Plan, staff, and manage the labor & other resources under turnaround/shutdown conditions (short timetable, multiple shifts, etc.). This requires knowledge obtained from industry experience in positions such as Capital Project Manager, Maintenance Superintendent/Manager, or other TAR roles. Must properly manage and segregate capital project work from maintenance activities. Lead time for identifying the scope of work, ordering materials, and securing manpower is typically at least a year prior to execution.
- Determine project development and execution strategies, including a contracting plan and materials management plan.