About Manhattan Youth
Manhattan Youth Recreation and Resources, Inc. provides the highest quality childcare and After-School programs plus academic, recreational and cultural activities for children, families and individuals who live or work in Manhattan, regardless of income. Our programs stimulate, challenge and strengthen children, teens, adults, seniors and families. Our services respond to the needs of our community. Our primary activities remain camp, after school programs and our Community Center. We also engage in a number of civic issues that impact community life in Manhattan.
Manhattan Youth seeks energetic and enthusiastic Activity Specialists to join our 2019-2020 After-School teams to lead our K-1 Science Club. This particular class will be held every Monday & Thursday (3:30 pm - 4:30 pm) from September thru June.
Candidates must be punctual, reliable, personable, and have experience teaching grades K-8.
Clubs are usually 1.25 hours long, some are a double session, and there opportunities to teach classes across multiple sites, if available. Classes run according to the DOE schedule.
Teachers should have experience creating lesson plans and curriculum based on the organization's class description and goals.
Role and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with Program Director and Assistant Director/On-site Supervisor to provide activities for our students.
- Submit lesson plans and/or curriculum scope for class to Program Director.
- Coordinate planning and preparation of activities and materials for daily schedule.
- Provide effective supervision to groups of children during classroom activities, recreation and field trips.
- Multi-site flexibility (may be asked to work at different sites depending on need). Attend and comply with training requirements.
- Ability to create an atmosphere that will encourage creative thinking, verbal communication, a problem-solving approach to conflict between children, independent exploration and self-confidence and awareness.
- Someone who loves, understands, listens, nurtures, supports, and is accepting of all children.
- Capacity to broaden and synthesize experiences in working with children.
- Ability to express and transmit ideas and knowledge clearly.
- Ability to organize time and effort to meet regularly assigned duties and occasional emergencies.
- Other responsibilities as needed and requested by site director.
- 2+ years of classroom experience OR currently pursuing a degree in education or a related field
- 2+ years professional experience in your content area (either teaching or in a professional space)
- Excellent academic skills and practical experience in your subject area; professional experience a plus
- Successful previous experience working with children, preferably in an after-school program with great job references
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
For all positions, a positive attitude and a team-player mindset is a must. We are looking for hardworking, proactive and professional staff.