The Manager of Employee Benefits is responsible for administering and servicing employee benefit programs for the Benefits Trust and CBIA and serves as a resource to bank employees, HR representatives and as a liaison between the membership and the insurance companies. The Manager of Employee Benefits is responsible for the guidance of Benefits Trust personnel and works with the Vice President in setting goals for the employee benefits personnel.
Essential Job Functions*
- Promote the insurance programs of the Benefits Trust and CBIA to financial institutions; independently prepare and present proposals, follow-up and install programs.
- Provide service to member financial institutions, coordinate activities, resolve problems and clarify issues involving employees, bank HR staff and insurance carriers. Serve as an expert resource or point-of-escalation for complex issues addressed by other benefit staff.
- Responsible for the online enrollment system; determine custom programming needs and work with vendor to meet needs of insurance carriers and members.
- Develop benefit re-enrollment and other communications materials; conduct employee educational meetings.
- Periodically solicit, collect and review competitive proposals from insurance carriers and other vendors; evaluate alternatives, summarize information and make recommendations to senior management and/or financial institution representatives.
- Maintain contracts with insurance carriers.
- Develop and maintain ERISA plan documents and summary plan description materials for the Benefits program.
- Develop agenda and participate in Benefits Advisory Committee meetings
- Develop agenda, recruit speakers and manage meetings and activities for the Human Resources Committee.
- Participate in annual financial review of the programs and assist in budget preparation.
- Manage the Wellness Program for the Benefits Trust.
- Manage the Employee Assistance Program through ASI for participating member institutions.
Experience and Skills
Candidates for this position must have a four-year college degree or the equivalent of experience and education, three to five years of related activity in employee benefits, and an active life and health insurance license. Candidate should possess strong oral and written communication skills, strong math and Microsoft Excel skills and be comfortable speaking in public. A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel in-state is also required.
Knowledge of ACA, HIPAA, ERISA, as well as relevant benefit programs and products, and any associated reporting requirements is helpful for success in this position. Marketing and training experience is also beneficial, but not required.
Must be able to work independently with little oversight.
- Physical surroundings are generally pleasant and comfortable in a well-lighted and ventilated office environment.
- Some physical effort needed in working with materials and supplies, and frequent operation of machines requiring dexterity and coordination. May also require frequent moving up and down in seat and/or walking.
- Job requires in-state travel, often for meetings before or after business hours.
The Manager of Employee Benefits is responsible for the guidance of employee benefits staff and works with the Vice President on goal setting and performance evaluation of these employees.