Who we are:
For over 30 years Mad Science has provided top-quality educational and entertaining science programs for children in Pre-K to 6th grade. Every year, Mad Science is experienced by about 5 million children in North America and around the world. Through fun, safe, and hands-on activities, children are "turned-on" to science. Mad Science programs promote creativity by allowing children to experiment and experience for themselves how cool science is.
Who we are looking for:
Mad Science of Mt. Diablo is looking for qualified and motivated applicants to conduct half-day and full-day science camps during the summer at several East Bay and North Bay locations. Qualified applicants will have experience working with groups of children as camp counselors, coaches, after-school program instructors, educators/teachers, or other such group programs. Students working towards an early childhood/education degree will also qualify.
- Commitment to educational programming for children
- Flexibility to meet changing work needs and demands
- Ability to work collaboratively on a high-functioning team
- Openness to feedback and desire to grow professionally
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and accurately
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate clearly, maturely and compassionately with families
- Ability to maintain an excellent work ethic, a high level of energy and exceptional enthusiasm all day, every day, for the duration of the summer
- Experience working with children ages 6-11.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Experience in after-school programs or leading programs for groups of a wide range of grade levels a plus
- Flexible schedule to fit your needs.
- Great resume-building experience.
- An opportunity to get children excited about science.
- Lead your team of up to 15 campers throughout the week
- Provide leadership, energy and camp spirit for campers, constantly assessing group dynamics and the needs of individual campers
- Deliver curriculum to your team of campers
- Set, work toward, and achieve measurable professional development goals
- Support camper check-in and check-out processes
- Daily setup and cleanup of camp and lesson preparation
- During the summer we run half-day camps between the hours of 9am and 4pm. You can expect to work 20-30 hours per week.
- Staff may work anytime between 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. Number of hours and start/finish time will vary by site, position and day
- Training and setup days: Participate in two Zoom mandatory training and setup days in the days before camp starts
COMPENSATION:We are committed to competitively compensating staff. Regarding compensation:
- Summer Camp Counselors are compensated at a regular hourly rate of $13.00-15.00 per hour
- Paid training per camp topic at rate of $10.00
- Summer staff positions are temporary, seasonal positions and do not include health benefits or paid vacation time
- Some lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs.
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
- Use hands and fingers to help with classroom supplies and operate equipment
- Frequent sitting
- Standing, walking, kneeling