Macmillan is seeking a skilled and dynamic Sales Agent to conduct and direct sales for its Speakers Bureau, which represents many prominent authors and experts. Responsibilities include cultivation and development of long-term client relationships; fierce advocacy for bureau’s speakers and authors; and collaboration with team members on operational functions.
The ideal candidate should have strong sales, negotiation and communication skills. The individual should possess an ability to strategize, pitch, and book paid speaking engagements. A background in working with speaking talent, event planning, publicity, or trade publishing is preferred.
- Negotiate and book paid speaking engagements, including proofing contracts, facilitating conference calls, and generating customized itineraries
- Cultivate and manage key client relationships while developing relationships with speakers and in house departments
- Collaborate with the MSB team to initiate and manage outreach marketing campaigns
- Research and pitch new speaking venues and contacts to build client list
- Oversees department social media accounts and campaigns on venues such as Twitter and Facebook and updates the MSB website
- Hires and manages the department intern
Required Skills / Knowledge:
- Successful track record in sales, account management, event marketing, or publicity
- A proven ability to generate creative angles and pitches
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Ability to create and maintain client relationships
- Strong communicator with excellent writing skills
- Exceptionally strong phone and presentation skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented multi-tasker who can seamlessly manage multiple campaigns
- Minimum of three years in sales, publicity, marketing, or speakers bureau agency
- Experience working with customer relationship management databases with knowledge of salesforce or exact target a plus
- Knowledge of Google for Work, Word, Excel, and WordPress platforms
- Basic knowledge of HTML a plus
Educational Background Required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC.