The Ottohahn Group is working with a growing Defense Company in beautiful upstate NY to find a Principal Mechanical Engineer to lead at the forefront of design, development and fabrication of next-generation radar surveillance systems.
As an expert in the field, the successful candidate will provide technical leadership to the Mechanical Engineering Department in the development of comprehensive mechanical requirements and extensible architectures to meet program and business unit needs and strategic goals. The candidate will apply advanced mechanical engineering principles, theories and concepts to the research and development of next-generation radar surveillance systems. The candidate must also work effectively in a cross-functional integrated product team environment and motivate others to reach objectives.
The position will involve:
- Work as a technical lead to design mechanical systems/subsystems.
- Practical experience using advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in solving mechanical engineering problems, with the ability to perform trade studies, develop conceptual configurations, engineer piece-parts and mechanical systems, and facilitate the fabrication, assembly, and qualification of hardware.
- Lead technical meetings and design reviews.
- Develop and maintain project plans, work breakdown structures, project schedules and control accounts utilizing Earned Value Management practices.
- Work as part of team to contribute to process improvements.
- Shape corporate and business area objectives by steering technology plans.
- Develop novel architectures that use new or existing technologies in a way, which supersedes alternative approaches.
- Create winning proposal strategies, themes and novel approaches to solve customer needs.
- Make key contributions and recommendations to architectures at all phases of development, test and fielding.
- Implement changes needed to improve mechanical engineering efficiency and quality.
Your skills and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related Engineering discipline
- 15+ years of experience, with at least 5 years in a senior or principal role
- Understanding of next generation technologies and market expectations
- Experience working in a cross-functional or integrated product team environment in the development of new products
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proven ability to communicate well with peers and different levels of management and the customer.
- Proven leader who motivates, inspires, and teaches others.
- Analytical and demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Strong work ethic and self-motivation.
- Advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in Mechanical Engineering
- Prior experience in the development of radar surveillance systems for the Department of Defense
- A strong understanding of project planning including risk and opportunity management
- An ability to operate as a hardware lead and engineering point of contact for the PMO, Senior Leadership and Customer.
- Experience with Solidworks and Solidworks PDM
- Experience with ANSYS Mechanical and ANSYS Icepak
Must be a U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.