Tier 3 Network - Traffic Engineer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Tier 3 Engineers have specialized in one or more vertical technology disciplines but will also be versed in other IT service delivery technologies. The Tier 3 Engineers perform testing, analysis and restoration of failed production services to customers and users. When new technologies and/or IT Services are added to the environment, the engineers are responsible for creating acceptance criteria and testing new service/technology supported by the CSS Service Desk. The primary function of this position is to monitor and sustain the SLAs (Service Level Agreements) as well as the growth and capacity planning aspects of the IT services.
Tier 3 Engineers provide support to the Tier 2 Engineers, taking calls during high-volume times. They assist in customer service status calls and with other communication such as notifications and escalations.
Network Engineers are responsible for:
o Resolving service-impacting events/incidents.
o Escalating incidents to Operations Management/Directors.
o Engaging support of the CSIRT (Computer Security Incident Response Team) when necessary.
o Supporting Move/Adds/Change/Delete (MACD) in the environment. Including CMDB updates.
· Monitor ongoing operations and IT service infrastructure performance with applications set to anticipate IT service problems.
· Teach and Mentor the Tier 2 Network Engineers
· Act as subject matter expert as needed.
· Working experience with Enterprise level ticketing system such as Service Now and an understanding of how to ensure ticket level SLA/SLO compliance.
· Working knowledge of ITL.
· Ability to configure and troubleshoot various Network Platforms including various Firewalls, Routers, Switches Management platforms (SolarWinds), and IoT devices.
· Interpret console messages and perform required actions.
· Perform IT service problem isolation and determination.
· Respond to problems that are escalated.
· Initiate corrective action within scope of knowledge and authority.
· Assist with network troubleshooting.
· Develop network capacity plans.
· Implement network bypass/recovery/backup procedures as required.
· Maintain knowledge of technology used, as well as new technologies that may be used in the future.
· Create criteria for acceptance of IT services and/or managed elements, for proactive monitoring and management.
· Validation of new IT services and/or managed elements in the IT environment.
· Acceptance/ coordination of new IT services and/or managed elements in the IT infrastructure.
· Use network diagnostic tools.
· Use and provide input to database(s) for problem and inventory control.
· Perform testing and maintenance activities as required.
· Serve as the customer interface for scheduling network changes, and the coordination of the Change Management process with the customer.
· Evaluate operations of traffic field devices and troubleshoot incidents using software tools for monitoring communication network and traffic devices.
· Coordinate and provide as-needed guidance to field maintenance personnel to diagnose isolate and troubleshoot traffic devices.
· Coordinate with vendors on end-of-life determination, warranty, firmware updates and security patches; Document and log incident response and maintenance activities.
· Coordinate with other team members to improve monitoring and management processes, and planning for deployment of new traffic devices.
Qualifying Experience and Attributes
· CCNP and or Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
· Minimum of five (5) years’ experience with network administration tools, software, operating systems and hardware components.
· Proficient in IT infrastructure technologies:
o Routers, Switches, WAN, LAN, TDM, VoIP, Telecomm, and other internetworking technologies.
o IP networking and communication including Ethernet, cellular modems, and transceivers (encoder/decoder), point-to-point wireless radio and RS-232/RS-485 serial communication.
o Windows and UNIX based servers; Windows Server.
· Thorough understanding of TCP/IP—addressing, routing protocols and transport protocols (UDP and TCP).
· Proficient in the use of network management tools, primarily for fault management purposes.
· Complete understanding of escalation, incident management and change management processes and procedures.
· Prior training in concepts of network and systems operations.
· Understands network performance analysis and capacity planning best practices.
· Thorough understanding of performance impact of network configuration options.
· Proficient in the operation and use of management tool set including fault, configuration, performance, and security tools.
· Proficient in the operation and use of sophisticated diagnostic tools (i.e. Sniffer, RMON tools, etc.).
· Understanding of vendor and industry standards and procedures for their respective technical specialty.
· Able to provide technical leadership to less experienced personnel either individually or as part of a team.
· Possess good communication, writing, and interpersonal skills.
· US Citizen and must be able to pass background check(s)
Preferred Experience and Attributes for Network Tier 3 Engineer:
· Possess Cisco certification: CCNP or better preferred.
· Other vendor certifications (Juniper, Fortinet, etc.) are desirable.
· Experience with configuring and interoperating with other networking technologies (security appliances and tools, proxies, gateways, etc.) desirable.
· Prior experience with software coding or scripting a plus.
· Experience working with traffic devices (vendor-supplied software tools) of one or more of the following is a plus:
o Dynamic Message Signs (DMS)
o Portable Variable Message Signs (PVMS)
o Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)
o Radar and loop detectors
o Traffic counting equipment
o Wireless traffic sensors
o Road Weather Information System (RWIS) devices
o Traffic signal systems
o Flashers/hybrid beacons
TechnologyView all jobs at MRI
Get fresh Network Design jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.