Position Title: Medical Receptionist/Scheduler
Reports To: Center Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Position Type: Full-Time
Work Schedule: Center Hours are: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. Multiple Shifts Available; some flexibility needed.
Direct Reports: None
Performs basic clerical tasks such as answering phones, greeting patients and visitors, and scheduling appointments in a professional and timely manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Welcomes and greets all patients and visitors, in person or over the phone using a polite, consistent customer-focused manner.
- Registers new patients and updates existing patient demographics by collecting detailed patient information including personal and financial/insurance information.
- Collect patients’ co-payments, deductibles and co-insurance and records receipt in database.
- Facilitates patient flow by notifying the technician of patients’ arrival, being aware of delays, and communicating with patients and radiology staff.
- Optimizes patients’ satisfaction, provider time, and treatment room utilization by scheduling appointments in person or by telephone using the EMR (electronic medical records) system.
- Comforts patients by anticipating patients’ anxieties; answering patients’ questions.
- Responds to inquiries by patients, prospective patients, and visitors in a courteous manner.
- Maintain knowledge of and work in compliance with all HIPAA guidelines.
- Protects patient confidentiality, making sure protected health information is secured by not leaving PHI in plan sight, or discussing it in front of other patients, and logging off the computer before leaving it unattended.
- Responsible for keeping the reception area clean and organized.
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
Related Work Experience:
- 1 – 2 years’ administrative experience in a medical office (doctors’ office, medical clinic, etc.).
Licenses or Certifications:
- Medical Administrative Assistant Certification preferred.
- Knowledge of office procedures and patient receptionist check-in processes.
- Knowledge of medical terminology such as guarantor, primary, group ID and subscriber ID.
- Experience collecting/processing patients’ co-payments, deductibles and co-insurance.
- Excellent typing (minimum 40 WPM) and computer usage skills, including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to learn electronic medical record (EMR) systems..
- Customer service focus – ability to relate with people of diverse backgrounds, and provide excellent customer service and solutions to problems.
- Promote teamwork by working collaboratively with colleagues and management to achieve shared goals.
- Attention to detail.
- Sense of urgency.
- Professional and efficient verbal and written communications.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and perform several tasks at once without losing concentration.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards; including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards, and maintain regular in-person punctual attendance.
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on the telephone and in person with co-workers, patients, customers, and other visitors.
- Light physical effort. Requires long periods of sitting. Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Constantly uses and operates standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on the telephone and in person with co-workers, patients, customers and other visitors.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.