Senior Technical Support Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, forestry, forklift, and industrial machinery markets, maximizing value for customers through innovative solutions. With a diverse line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels, and a global service network, we tap into the power of data and technology to enhance safety and productivity while optimizing performance. Komatsu supports a myriad of markets, including housing, infrastructure, water, pipeline, minerals, automobile, aerospace, electronics and medical, through its many brands and subsidiaries, including TimberPro, Joy, P&H, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC, and Gigaphoton.Job Overview
The Technical Support Engineering Team perform as Advanced Subject Matter Experts in specific assigned knowledge disciplines as it relates to the identification and resolution of technical issues involving Komatsu Products in service within North America. Actively supports regional service teams by pro-actively managing all inbound and outbound communications around technical issues and opportunities. Ensure Customer Product availability is maintained and enhanced through timely problem solving / training to correct and resolve issues in the field. As part of the Technical Support Team, work with internal entities (Engineering, Marketing, Sales, etc.) as well as external vendors to resolve issues and manage warranty costs. Provide pro-active information to the field to allow customers to better identify, analyze and resolve operating problems. When issues arrive, work with field Service personnel, distributors, and ultimately face-to-face with customers to identify root cause and lead the process of creating technical resolution to the problem identified.
Support a field population of over 4,500 machines with 1,500 to 2,000 customer interventions annually. The financial exposure of the interventions is up to $50M between warranty, commercial consideration, contract management and availability guarantees that can be mitigated based on the speed to resolution and long term success delivered by the Technical Support Team.Key Job Responsibilities
- Provide in-depth technical support and expertise on a worldwide basis to maintain performance and availability of customers' electric drive trucks (EDT’s). Includes troubleshooting and diagnostic advice to field staff, distributors and customers. Act as primary liaison between the factory and regional representatives, and consult with engineering, manufacturing and suppliers to obtain solutions.
- Conduct failure analyses of failed components and establish root cause of problems using fault tree analysis to aid in finding solutions to systemic problems. Travel to jobsite to gather facts and data directly from the field when submitted information does not support requirements to develop a resolution or issue closure. Work with vendors to identify and implement the best solutions to prevent recurrence.
- Prepare detailed failure reports; capture all occurrences of a problem using defined KAC methods and other sources to involve QA/QC Departments in implementing solutions to field performance problems. Manage the Juhin processes related to the assigned area of responsibility and, where required, participate in key supplier meetings and related activity.
- Take ownership of incoming TSI’s from the field, ensuring that all appropriate personnel are made aware of issues incoming from the field. Using technical expertise, identify issues that require escalation and creation of new Juhins to address the problem. Aid in the development and maintenance of a searchable TSI database to make TSI analysis quicker and more efficient.
- Address TSR’s quickly, communicating necessary replies to the field and continuously reviewing to identify possible issue trends. Responsible for driving material content, message and ultimate release to field personnel.
- Serve as an active member of the Technical Support Management Team. Attend management meetings, trade shows, company meetings, supplier meetings and prepare and present Power Point presentations when required. Travel worldwide to perform job functions.
- Organize and plan Field campaigns as needed to remedy identified issues with counter measures and to install improvements into existing fleets.
- B.S. Degree in a technical discipline (e.g. Engineering) along with 8+ years of knowledge and experience with heavy equipment. Advanced degree is a plus. Experience in field commissioning of products very much desired.
- Demonstrated experience working with Mining / Heavy Equipment.
- Ability to (1) continually expand knowledge in the area of assignment and (2) to study and learn one (or more) of the other expertise areas to provide backup and coverage for the team.
- Strong communications skills to interact effectively with field personnel, distributors, customers and senior management. Ability to successfully summarize and present technical content to clearly demonstrate root causes of problems and clear steps to resolve customer issues. Able to present to large groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of Root Cause and Fault Tree Analysis with ability to balance a thorough investigation of issues with a sense of urgency for resolutions.
- Must be willing and able to travel 20 to 30% of the time, including internationally. Must be able to visit mine sites and physically be able to climb in and around equipment in the field, often at heights and/or in less than ideal conditions.
- Prior experience with computer software systems including MS Word, Excel, Power Point (etc.).
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the associate is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; and the ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (life, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-50 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read application information. The associate frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
Komatsu is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
We Make it Easy
Founded in 1901, MRA is a nonprofit employer association that serves more than 4,000 employers, covering more than one million employees.
As one of the largest employer associations in the nation, MRA helps its member organizations thrive by offering the most comprehensive assortment of HR services, information, education, and resources to help build successful workplaces and a powerful workforce.
We partner with these companies working directly with their HR department and leadership to hire their talent. We are a direct line to the company, not an agency recruiter.
Powered by JazzHR
MRA Recruiting Services
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?