Provides overall management direction of project managers while simultaneously managing larger scale projects that require extra experience or additional assistance; establishes company objectives and policies; initiates and maintains liaison with clients, owners, municipalities, design review board, architects, engineers, designers, subcontractors and suppliers. Responsible for the administration, contractual requirements and overall profitability of divisions within the company.
1. Establish project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards within the parameters of the company culture. Develop and adhere to short-term and long-range plans consistent with overall profit and growth.
2. Monitor/control construction process to ensure projects adhere to the schedule and within budget in accordance with the contract documents. Ensure the appropriate level of quality per company standard in conjunction with the project team.
3. Work in conjunction with President, Controller, CFO and Director of Operations to manage all financial aspects of contracts (owner billing, self-perform labor, equipment rentals, project projections, committed costs, subcontractor and vendor billing, etc.) to protect Company’s interest and profitability and simultaneously maintain good relationship with subcontractors and owners.
4. Responsible for ensuring successful conclusion of every project, and keeping President appraised of all details.
5. Responsible for assisting with the hiring and training for all personnel, with assistance of others.
6. Acts as the Company representative in project negotiating and strategic meetings when necessary.
7. Performs the duties of a Project Manager for large scale projects or as needed, including but not limited to the following:
a. Manage all aspects of the project to ensure it is being built within the scope, budget, schedule, etc.
b. Acts as a Company Representative to the client and interfaces frequently with both concerning progress.
c. Manages all financial aspects of the project to minimize overages and maximize profits.
d. Attends weekly status meetings on-site with Superintendent, site management and applicable subcontractors.
e. Responsible for providing input into the performance of Foreman, Superintendent, and Assistant Project Manager.
f. Works with external personnel as needed, architects, designers, engineers, sub-contractors, suppliers, etc.
g. Creates and manages submittals and submittal log
h. Creates, manages and follows up on RFIs and ASIs
i. Create meeting minutes from OAC and job walks
j. Responsible for timely and complete buyout after handoff from estimating.
k. Final estimate preparation for accounting per required method
l. Prepare for weekly management meetings with general schedule for all jobs under their control, fiscal reporting etc.
m. Creates and manages owner change orders and change order log
n. Responsible for financial projections, change orders and billings
o. Timely closeout of projects including substantial and final completion letters, O&M manuals, municipal close-out, lessons learned and project postmortem reports and discussions.
8. Other duties as assigned.
1. Responsible for maintaining excellent client relationships.
2. Makes on-site visits as needed.
3. Acts as the Company Representative with architects, subcontractors, owners, contractors and developers.
4. Administer staff meetings for internal company performance, project performance, and overall needs of the company.
Works with little or no direction, reports to Director of Operations and President
· Project Manager
· Project Engineer
· Project Coordinator
· Assistant Project Manager
a. Extensive knowledge of construction design, finance, business and management.
b. Certificates for OSHA 10 & OSHA 30
2. Skills and Abilities:
a. Thorough understanding of project management, scheduling and estimating
b. Excellent negotiation skills
c. Excellent management skills
d. Problem solving skills
e. Excellent time management skills
a. Degree in Construction Management preferred
b. Could be 2-year college with extensive experience
a. 12 plus years (some in field, some in management)
5. Interpersonal Skills
a. Is aggressive, however fair and reasonable in all business dealings involving clients, subcontractors and co-workers (understands win-win contracting)
b. Maintains control over subcontractors and craft people from earned respect, however, is capable of using a more authoritative style of leadership when necessary
c. Is proactive, looks for problems that could impede progress and relentlessly takes responsibility for solving them
d. Has the ability to confront difficult situations and manages them to a successful conclusion
e. Is deadline driven, punctual and respects other people’s time
f. Embraces life-long learning, strives to stay current with new industry trends and practices, willingly participates in industry events and networking functions.