Learns, practices and develops essential skills in construction techniques and supervision under the guidance of one or more Construction Managers and/or a Construction Area Manager. Develops construction superintendent skills by assisting the Construction Manager in coordinating the on-site construction activities for assigned subdivisions. Assists the Construction Manager in monitoring the completion of each construction phase through performing inspections, scheduling and coordination of activities as directed by the construction superintendent.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Trains and learns M/I Homes Construction Process through the performance of tasks and activities related to all construction phases, including, but not limited to:
- Attending/participating in the key formal and informal builder/homeowner construction process meetings including but not limited to: Buyer Builder Conference, New Home Orientation
- Assisting in the inspection of assigned homes in different phases of construction to monitor work flow, quality and completion
- Reviewing and verifying blueprints to ensure accuracy.
- Assisting in scheduling subcontractors and monitoring completion of work as required including delivery and use of materials, supplies, tools, machinery and equipment.
- Acts as liaison between subcontractors and construction management staff by monitoring work quality and progress of subcontractors and reporting issues and problems arising from inspections.
- Performing minor repairs including paint touch-up, caulking, trim, checking appliances and minor installations prior to pre-settlement inspections.
- Communicating with home owners relative to questions and concerns; analyzes problems and provides assistance in resolving customer-service issues by suggesting to superintendent appropriate measures to maintain customer satisfaction.
- Trains and learns other key M/I Homes processes and how they are directly linked to / impacted by the phases of the Construction Process included but not limited to:
- Customer Care
- Sales & Design Center
- Ability to act on behalf of construction superintendent in the event of his/her absence.
- Monitors and enforces safety and Company policy compliance.
- Ensures a clean, safe work environment to include the removal of debris from common areas and the cleanliness of homes.
- Assist with special projects as requested and perform additional duties as required.
Skills and Abilities:
Must have knowledge of construction skills including carpentry; reading blueprints; use of hand and power tools and possess a both a technical and mechanical aptitude. Customer-service oriented with good verbal and written communication skills. Position is required to interact with a variety of people including customers, vendors, and employees from other departments. Must be adaptable and have the flexibility to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with ability to coordinate several activities simultaneously. Must possess decision-making and problem-solving abilities to select among alternative courses of action within budget limitations; detail-oriented for time management effectiveness. A working knowledge of Outlook and Build Pro is a plus.
Minimum Education Experience:
Bachelor’s or Associates degree in Construction Management preferred or at least three years of related work experience and/or training; good knowledge and understanding of the home building industry within scope of building codes, regulations and construction processes.
Exposure to undesirable environmental conditions as well as some health and safety risks. Appropriate equipment and precautions required. Travel demands which require possession of a valid driver’s license.
M/I Homes offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) profit sharing plan, employee stock purchase plan, employee home purchase plan and more.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.