Manager of Tooling Operations
- Over a month ago
MGS Mfg. Group has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Manager of Tooling Operations to join our team. MGS is a best-in-class custom manufacturer that delivers plastics solutions in tooling, molding and equipment technologies to help customers around the world bring innovative products to market. At MGS, we achieve success through the contributions of our employees. To learn more about MGS, please visit www.mgsmfg.com.
As a Manager of Tooling Operations, you will be responsible for coordinating all tooling activities and setting the tooling standards for the MGS Germantown molding facility. Ensures that communication and coordination of all tooling repair and preventative maintenance is scheduled, both internally and externally, to coincide with development and production requirements to maximize cost effectiveness and meet customer requirements through continuous improvement. This position is responsible for Strategy and Deployment, General Task Management, People Management, Relationship Management, and Self-Management.
Overall Purpose of Role:
Responsible for all aspects of in-house tool manufacturing, maintenance, development and testing activities to ensure the business objectives are met, to maximize productivity and maintain the highest levels of workmanship for all tooling activities. Lead and co-ordinate resources within the Tool room to ensure all tooling are maintained and repaired efficiently, on time and in line with quality standards ensuring that Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are adhered to.
Implement and maintain a planning system by which preventive activities, including spare parts and consumables, are defined and maintained. Establish budgets with customers to enable the tooling team to act in an efficient and effective manner in the pursuit of maintaining a customer's assets. Implement and manage continuous improvement and modern manufacturing principals by highlighting deficiencies and recommending changes in training, working practices and processes.
Strategy and Deployment
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of best practice tool room vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve operational performance.
- Develop and manage procedural arrangements whereby proposals on new equipment or tool design can be assessed for their impact in performance terms.
- Implement budget for investment of new equipment and drive these investments.
- Develop, implement and manage key performance indicators (KPIs) for each area of responsibility.
General Task Management
- Supervise/Manage the running and planning activities of the tool room facilities and toolmakers, ensuring the tool room is a safe environment in line with health, safety and environmental requirements.
- Supports Production and Engineering to manage and guarantee on time availability of tools to ensure continuous production and increase of OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness).
- Maximize the use of all resources, including the ERP system used for tracking all tools, implementing and maintaining a planned schedule of maintenance and repair activity to ensure a computerized log is kept on faults and service history of tools.
- Implement storage of tools to facilitate highest standards within the department for good housekeeping, health, safety and environmental.
- Provide quotations for tooling improvements, maintenance, modifications and repairs.
- Ensure Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Good Documentation Practices (GDP) are being followed.
- Maintain and update toolroom machinery, inventory, and miscellaneous supplies and equipment as needed.
- Scheduling and coordinate the activities of all toolroom employees in order to meet the demands of the production environment.
- Ensure employees are working safely and follow safe work practices.
- Create and maintain tool repair and preventative maintenance schedule. Determine repair requirements and preventative maintenance interval schedules.
- Develop and implement preventative maintenance and repair procedures.
- Communicate and coordinate tooling repair and preventative maintenance scheduling to coincide with production requirements.
- Coordinate the placement of tool repairs and preventative maintenance on an internal and external basis.
- Trouble-shoot tooling, related process issues, and defective parts.
- Maintain tool history, tracking, storage and associated systems.
- Manage tool preventative maintenance and repair costs.
- Review and adjust preliminary design to suit production needs and costs, repair and preventative maintenance cost, and customer requirements.
- Maintain toolroom quality standards and efficiencies.
- Investigate potential areas for continuous improvement and implement plan of action.
- Manage contractors and customers on site to ensure they meet legal and company requirements
- Manage, coach and develop a high performing tool room team that meets agreed objectives, and which delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvements.
- Manage and lead the team, ensuring adequate staffing levels, managing holiday allowances, recruitment, training, development, performance evaluation, attendance, disciplinary issues and daily supervision to maximize efficient productivity.
- Consistently promote high standards following MGS's Core Values through personal example and roll out through the team so that each member of the team understands the standards and behaviors expected of them.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance.
- Work collaboratively, negotiate and engage with key stakeholders to facilitate delivery and compliance with the tooling strategy.
- Ensure an effective interface with other departmental staff is maintained.
- Identify and deploy the technical skill sets, resource levels and systems to deliver projects, including the engagement of external resources as required.
- Liaise and communicate with other departments, customers, suppliers and other service providers.
- Support, comply and ensure complicity with Health & Safety regulations, the Company Handbook, Quality and Environmental standards, and all other Company policies and procedures.
- Support, encourage, develop team, and take ownership for team cohesion.
- Proactively contribute to creating a good team atmosphere following MGS's Core Values.
- Has an Adult:Adult, collaborative approach with others.
- A self-starter, motivated and able to positively motivate others.
- Focused and target driven with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Bachelor's Degree in Operations Management or related field is preferred.
- Completion of a state indentured tool and die apprenticeship with journeymen card or equivalent is a plus.
- Seven to ten years of tooling related experience, or accrued on-the-job training and experience.
- Excellent leadership and people management skills.
- Strong team building, decision making, and planning skills.
- Strong troubleshooting, problem solving, and project management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to manage a variety of cross-function team members.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, organizational, and follow up skills.
- Ability to create accountability and lead by example.
- Previous experience/understanding of management principles (budgeting/expense management, strategic planning, resource allocation and human resources).
- Expertise within the plastics industry in terms of standards, processes, procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge in FDA and ISO/QS/TS Quality Systems is preferred.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of injection molding process, equipment, and materials.
- Lock out/Tag out and Forklift experience.
Succeed with MGS!
MGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
MGS is a privately held, $250M contract manufacturing expert that delivers custom, integrated solutions that drive business performance and growth across a wide variety of industries. From our roots as a small toolmaking shop back in 1982, MGS's elite engineering teams and advanced technologies are fueled by a "get it done" attitude and an entrepreneurial spirit of innovation. And our core values of teamwork, integrity, passion, and safety have shaped us as a global leader with manufacturing facilities around the world. Always finding ways to improve performance, productivity, and ROI for our customers, at MGS, getting the job done still means getting the job done right - the first time.
MGS Mfg. Group, Inc
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?