Job TitleMetadata Taxonomist
I. Job Summary | Major goals and objectives.
We're seeking a highly self-motivated, technology-savvy teammate who thrives working in a collaborative, data-driven environment. This position will help design and build world-class, intuitive, and comprehensive taxonomies and ontologies to optimize content classification and discovery across Meredith's portfolio of brands which include Better Homes and Gardens, Allrecipes, InStyle, and People.
Meredith Taxonomists advocate for data quality standards at Meredith. Taxonomists optimize the descriptive metadata used by our stakeholders to create great experiences and inspiration for our audience through navigation, recommendations, and on-site search. Taxonomists create and maintain the documentation that Editors use to easily categorize their work, inform Product decisions, and support Developers. They perform data mining of Meredith catalogues to identify the best ways to gather and categorize content. They also troubleshoot website categorization issues, tool and system issues.
II. Essential Job Functions
Weight % Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
35%- Maintain and optimize multiple controlled vocabularies based on best practices
25% - Partner with Content, SEO, Data Science teams on metadata and taxonomy improvements
25%- Contribute to Strategy and Innovation: Serve as a taxonomy, metadata, and ontology subject matter expert for Business Intelligence and Sales and contributes expertise to define and implement business opportunities based on metadata. Provide metadata support for Product Initiatives.
15%- Coordinate business and technical metadata across Meredith brands
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
Master's degree in Library or Information Science, Linguistics, or equivalent professional experience
1-3 years of experience developing and managing controlled vocabularies, taxonomies, metadata and classification schema, ideally for a consumer-facing application
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A solid understanding of metadata, subject classification, and knowledge organization.
- Understanding of taxonomy development and its relationship to search.
- Proven skills in data retrieval techniques such as SQL and or Boolean query construction.
- Ability to balance business requests with end-user needs in the development and growth of system taxonomies.
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Able to think strategically and act tactically. Be willing to roll up your sleeves and do what needs to be done.
- Enthusiasm for food, lifestyle and entertainment topics such as cooking, decorating, building and remodeling, crafts, entertaining, gardening, parenting, celebrity, beauty and style is highly desired.
- Attention to detail.
% Travel Required (Approximate): 0%
It is the policy of Meredith to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Meredith will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Meredith participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees#NMG#