Patient Care Technician- WHC (.50 FTE)
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Performs a variety of direct patient care activities for a designated nursing or clinical department. Assists medical and nursing staff with procedures and/or tests, assists patients with Activities of Daily Living (ADL's), obtains non-invasive body fluid specimens, and may draw blood and/or perform EKG's.
- High School Diploma or GED Required
- (1) completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant program, an experienced WHC nursing assistant, or the equivalent; or (2) completion of a national Registered Emergency Medical Technician or Paramedic program/course with at least six months or more experience as an EMT, CCT, or EMTP; or (3) a Nursing Student (RN Program) with completion of at least one year of clinical rotation or a graduate of an approved nursing program (LPN or RN). Required Experience
- Prior work experience not required but completion of a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), Emergency Medical Technician/Paramedic (EMT, EMTP), or Critical Care Technician (CCT) program, or Student Nurse Required Licenses and Certifications
- BLS - Basic Life Support Required
- Any licensure as indicated by above qualifications Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Requires the ability to read and write; and knowledge of grammar, and math.
- May require the use of standard office/medical equipment (i.e., personal computer, on-line printer, calculator, telephone, facsimile, copier, sterilizing equipment, blood pressure cuff, OR tables.
- Measures vital signs including temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, weight, intake and output and records them in the patient's medical record.
- Monitors and responds to patients call light, assisting patient directly or referring the need to a more appropriate staff member. Conducts purposeful patient rounding and document in patient's medical record.
- Reports observations/changes in patient status to the appropriate nursing and/or medical personnel according to specific department protocol.
- Performs the following unit-specific procedures as directed by the RN or Advanced Practice Provider (APP), per unit practice: blood glucose monitoring, phlebotomy (patient blood draws), Electrocardiography / Telemetry battery and lead charges, insertion/discontinuance of foley catheters, simple dressing changes not involving sterile technique, starts/manages IV's during surgical procedures (Perioperative Services Only), ostomy care.
- Assists patient with Activities of Daily Living (ADL's), including but not limited to: positioning, mobilization and ambulation, feeding, bathing, grooming, etc.
- Maintains the cleanliness and safety of patient rooms/environment and support other regulatory readiness standards. Reports issues to appropriate personnel, as needed.
- Ensures adequate supplies are restocked.
- Ensures patient safety by following hospital protocols and procedures addressing fall precaution including bed and chair alarms, infection control and prevention, proper handoff, RN/PCT report, utilization of telesitter and other safety measures as indicated.
- Transports and/or escorts patients during discharges, transfers, and/or medical appointments. Completes errands such as delivering specimens to the laboratory and other instruments as required.
- Initiate BLS when indicated.
- Attends staff meetings and in-services and huddles as required.
- Provides constant care attendant functions if indicated by RN/nursing supervisor.
- Collaborates with the primary or associate nurse to optimize the patient care outcomes based on the interdisciplinary plan of care.
- Customer Service
HealthcareView all jobs at MEDSTAR HEALTH
Get fresh WHC jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.