Mahiʻai Mua - Farmer (Advanced), Agroforestry Manager
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Reports To: Managing Director
MAʻO Organic Farms (MAʻO), located in Lualualei Valley, Waiʻanae, is a social enterprise of the Waiʻanae Community Re-Development Corporation, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization. Established in 2001, MAʻO Organic Farms grows organic food and new leaders for a sustainable Hawaiʻi. Today, MAʻO manages 280 acres of organically certified lands producing over 260,000 pounds of food per year with operations co-managed by young leaders going to college. Currently in the midst of our 10-year Māʻona expansion plan, our kuleana is to manage the land and water of Lualualei with aloha, and to radically increase the production of nutritious local organic food, while empowering a new generation of leaders to serve Hawaiʻi nei.
The Agroforestry Manager will work in partnership with the Managing Director and the Farm Manager to develop and manage profitably the agroforestry areas within the existing organic agroforestry systems, and develop new orchards on the recently acquired lands.
- Co-design/develop a detailed agroforestry plan for the farm.
- Implement and manage all agroforestry activities, new biocultural development and existing orchards, to include land and soil preparation, tree nursery preparation, irrigation and water resource management, planting, maintenance and upkeep.
- Lead the evolution/increase in organic fruit production and subsequent increase in overall farm income.
- Design and implement agroforestry training sessions, schedule sessions and activities for staff, for youth and for the community.
- Weave the management of agroforestry systems into the recruitment, teaching/mentorship, and college matriculation of interns in MA`O's educational ʻauwai (edu-preneurial programming).
- Support the farm's core entrepreneurial operations including vegetable production sales.
- Develop, write up proposals and grants to obtain project funding and then ensure there are monitoring, documentation and reporting activities to present to funders and community.
- Collaborate with diverse array of partners (e.g. Leeward Community College, UH West Oahu, Kamehameha Schools, UH CTAHR, various co-producers) to fulfill MA`O's mission.
- Support the development of new related ventures including - agritourism, value-added production.
We're looking for an entrepreneurial person with the desire to lead, willing to work with young people, a 110% commitment to a team approach that embraces hard work and can motivate others to work accordingly.
- At least 5-years' experience in tropical orcharding and organic agriculture, with emphasis in management and production agriculture.
- Knowledge of a wide range of fruits -- organic growing practices, harvest/handling techniques, culture and culinary uses.
- Be able to work in, create and maintain a work environment that helps staff and interns develop the necessary knowledge and skills in order to perform their role with excellence.
- Strong team player and ability to work with diverse individuals and organizations.
- History of writing education, research and extension documents.
- Experience in community development/organizing, participatory methods, and a proven commitment to increase farm production and profitability,
- Well organized; able to meet deadline, multitasking person and able to work under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal, communications, and writing skills, with ability to work in team environment.
- Pilina to Waiʻanae/community, practices love, respect & a willingness to work.
- Driver's license, comfortable driving heavy trucks and farm equipment.
- Comfortable working with computers especially Microsoft Excel and Word
- Possess at minimum a Bachelor's degree in Agricultural Science, Horticulture, Botany, Environmental or Conservation Science.
Salary range $48,000 - $60,000 annually, based on experience and education.
Benefits include: Medical and dental coverage; Paid vacation, sick and holiday time; Employer sponsored 401K Plan; fresh, Organic fruits and vegetables!
MA'O Organic Farms
Get fresh Work From Home Organic Farms jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.