Direct Support Professional (Sat & Sun 10 AM - 4 PM)
Are you a passionate human services professional looking to make a difference in the community of persons with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities (IDD)?
You are exactly who we are looking for!
At Makom, we are looking for Direct Support Professionals! As a 40+ year-old organization supporting people with IDD in Maryland and Virginia, we are looking for fantastic additions to our frontline team. Want to join a growing organization committed to innovation? Looking for a place where you get to be your best self every day? Join us!
As a Direct Support Professional, you will join a dynamic team, and an organization of 400 employees who are among the best talent in the field anywhere.
Some principal functions of the Direct Support Professional:
- Assist people with IDD, based on each person's unique skills, preferences/aspirations, and needs to lead self-determined and self-directed lives, fully participating in the communities in which they live, work, learn and play.
- Support individual(s) with identifying wants and needs and developing and/or maintaining skills, to the best of the individual(s) abilities, to facilitate realization of full potential present and future.
- Participate in the development of and support individual(s) in accordance with Person Centered Plan (PCP)/Individual Supports Plan (ISP)/Makom Contract for Supports based on the individual's skill level. This may change and evolve over timethe DSP should evolve supports accordingly and serve as an expert member of the individual(s) circle of supports.
- Provide individualized supports/coaching with Activities of Daily Living (ADL) and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL) as required.
- Ensure safe and clean living and/or working environments and report all maintenance needs or assist individual to obtain assistance from their property management as needed.
- Be familiar and comply with medical assessments, dietary restrictions/allergies, care plans, and recommendations provided by the nurse/delegating nurse and/or any other medical professional if applicable depending on support service.
To be Makom’s next Direct Support Professional, you will need:
A minimum of a high school degree, further education/associate degree in human services related field is helpful.
Ability to complete required training within time period allowed.
Ability to lift up to 100 pounds with assistance preferred and be capable of kneeling on the floor to help individuals they support.
Ability to solve problems, critical thinking and excellent customer service required.
Communicate effectively with people with IDD, Makom leadership, peers, families, advocates, and external constituencies.
Proficiency with Microsoft applications & computer skills
Ability to work independently and with others, exercises professional judgement.
Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
Maintain a professional demeanor, communication, and relationships with people with whom they work.
A valid MD, VA, or DC driver’s license; ability to pass drug screenings, background checks, reference checks, and required.
Come join us!
We pride ourselves on championing a culture of mutual accountability, innovation, entrepreneurialism, and self-determination while smartly attracting and retaining the best people to serve our mission.
Makom is committed to support and empower people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) to achieve the quality of life to which they aspire.
We offer excellent benefits to eligible employees, competitive wages and are an Equal Opportunity Employer that celebrates diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Get fresh Direct Support Professional (Sat & Sun 10 AM - 4 PM) jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.