At M5 Hosting, we are a close-knit team of enthusiastic geeks who love to solve problems and build cool infrastructure for our customers. Your experience, clever solutions and ability to solve problems will be respected and appreciated by the rest of the team and customers. Our customers are typically IT professionals not end users. You will have a direct impact on the business.
M5 Hosting has been providing dedicated server hosting for more than 15 years. In addition to the dedicated server hosting M5 has grown it’s business into network management. We currently manage a global DMVPN service provider class network for a major fortune 500 company.
As a Network Administrator you will work full time with the ability to schedule your own hours. You will have a mix of long term projects and network support responsibilities. You will work on a team providing on-call support for our 365/24/7 operational environment. You must be able to work well under pressure and have the ability to engage customers in stressful situations.
Your duties include:
You will be the lead network administrator responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the network. This will involve the review of key metrics and reporting information and being the point person for any network related support issues. The ability to work with our systems administrators and provide informal training will be critical. You will also have project related responsibilities including network upgrades and improving the network management toolset.
This is *not* an entry-level position. You must already be *strong* with the following: TCP/IP (troubleshooting layers 1-7), Cisco equivalent network device configuration and management, VLAN(s) and Dot1Q, port-channels and LACP, familiarity with routing technologies such as HSRP and OSPF, and most importantly an eagerness to learn and grow as a network administrator.
This position is specifically for a strong, unintimidated but approachable administrator who can solve problems and mentor/guide less experienced team members. Help them become as strong as you.
The ideal candidate will...
- be able to take ownership and complete a project from general requirements.
- be able to quickly evaluate and deploy new technologies.
- be able to work with your teammates.
- be able to have a flexible work schedule, which will include occasional odd hours.
- *love* to fix things, build things, solve problems and find better ways to do things.
- *love* switches, fabrics, and IP routing
- be able to dissect and diagnose network connectivity issues, system performance bottlenecks, and various sources of latency.
- have excellent professional and personal references; never have been convicted of a computer related misdemeanor or any felony; be a non-smoker; live within 30 minutes of the San Diego Tech Center (Sorrento Valley); and have a valid CA drivers license and reliable car/truck/SUV. (You might have to move a switch across town from time to time, so having only a motorcycle will not do.)
- Have or can show progress obtaining the CCNA certification
Integrate with the team, sharing knowledge and experience.
Reliably complete your projects while responding to events and customer requests.
Follow M5 procedures and participate in recurring maintenance and normal operations procedures.
Actively try to improve and expand your knowledge and experience.
DOE ($75-85K), plus medical and PTO
Must be U.S. Citizen