Mortenson's success is not a matter of luck; it's a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" 38 times regionally over the past decade...
...What are you waiting for?!
Mortenson Engineering Services is currently seeking an Engineer II - Protection & Control position in our Minneapolis, MN, Fargo, ND or San Antonio, TX offices. This position is responsible for the technical control design on a broad range of detailed engineering designs for high voltage substation projects through 500 kV. Candidate will be responsible for working closely with other engineering and design team members to coordinate overall design package and requirements. They will be responsible for performing a broad scope of engineering assignments of moderate difficulty requiring knowledge in engineering-related disciplines. With some technical oversite, the engineer will learn to evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria by using judgment in making adaptations and modifications and providing interpretations and conclusions with support from other Engineers.
- Responsible for the relay protection & control engineering aspects on substation and transmission design projects
- Duties include protection and control design, schematic design, wiring diagrams, and system troubleshooting.
- Review and approve equipment vendor drawings on major equipment from manufacturers with Lead Engineer or Manager review and approval.
- Basic understanding of discipline specific technical designs, engineering principles, business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements.
- Works independently with detailed direction from Engineering Lead, Principal Engineer, or Engineering Manager
- Provide engineering support for proposals, estimating, procurement and construction
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines and Design Phase Managers to successfully deliver design projects
- Provides technical support to personnel/cross functional teams supporting the assigned project by performing moderate level engineering calculations, data analysis, and engineering tasks.
- Assist field personnel in resolving unanticipated site conditions.
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks consistent with engineering policies and Mortenson QA/QC procedures.
- Creates detailed designs aligned with our customer requirements and Mortenson's best practice standards.
- Plans and conducts work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, and adaptation or modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria
- Review of engineering work produces a first-time review rate of documents at 75% correct
- Verify that construction is in agreement with electrical engineering design drawings, including preparatory meetings, and QA/QC
- Performs data analysis and engineering tasks, calculations and studies to develop preliminary and detailed designs for completion of large and small projects
- Develops, under supervision, the technical requirements and standards for fabrication and construction tender packages
- Has basic knowledge of software packages: ASPEN, ETAP, PSSE, CDEGS, is desirable but not required.
- Moderate Project Management and analytical problem-solving skills
Graduate of four-year college or university with Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) or Bachelor of Science Electrical Computer Engineering (BSECE) with power courses or related Engineering program. Strongly preferred the degree is from a school of engineering with curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum.
- Experienced in engineering theories and principles.
- Experienced in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations.
- Engineering-in-Training (EIT) certification or achievement of their EIT within 6 months of entering the position with the ability to obtain a Professional Engineering (PE) license.
- Minimum two (2) years related work experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.
Can't find a specific job to refer your friend? Please Click here!
EEO is the Law - Mortenson EEO Policy -