Provide financial accounting support for Alaska Marine Lines and other affiliated companies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform general accounting functions related to period closing to support preparation of financial statements and managerial reporting.
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare journal entries using financial and statistical data to be reviewed, validated, and uploaded in the EBS system.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts and records necessary transactions.
- Perform analytics with the intent of finding errors and/or explaining variances.
- Review miscellaneous invoicing and assign proper general ledger coding.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of U.S. GAAP.
- Assist with the year-end audit by compiling and summarizing financial information.
- Perform functions related to accounting for intercompany transactions and balances.
- May perform work associated with property, fuel and sales tax application and /or reporting.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and physical demands in the work environment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Accounting required. Up to 3 years related accounting experience preferred. Transportation experience a plus. CPA or CPA candidate preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to manage and organize multiple deadlines, phone calls, emails and paper correspondence. Understands processes, policies and procedures. Identify improvements to policies and procedures and suggest revisions. Analyzes data, performs root cause analysis, documents process flow and suggests solutions.
Provides high level of customer service to meet service level standards.
LEADERSHIP & RESPONSIBILITY:
Works independently on small tasks. Works with minimal supervision. Collaborates and works with a team. Willing to help when or where needed. Collaborates effectively with management, users, operating companies and all other departments within LI. Standard process decision making.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to meet a regular work schedule.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work to meet schedules/deadlines.
- Regular attendance and timeliness are essential functions of this position.
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team with minimal supervision.
- Ability to change focus and job duties in a fast moving, time restricted environment.
- PC skills required: Windows, PowerPoint, Outlook. Must have Excel skills including tables, formulas, and formatting.
- Keyboarding proficiency including 10-key by touch.
The employee is regularly required to talk and hear while communicating with customers, vendors, and coworkers by telephone or in person. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds of equipment, office products, etc. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus while entering data, answering phones and monitoring office environment.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate in the office to very loud in the barge operation.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Federal law requires Alaska Marine Lines to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Alaska Marine Lines will provide the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Details: http://bit.ly/2nk3jWa EEO Poster EEO Poster Supplement
A post conditional offer of employment drug test and background investigation are required.
Random drug testing is required of all Alaska Marine Lines employees.
Alaska Marine Lines, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or national origin.
Veterans and Minorities are encouraged to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Priority referrals for protected veterans.