Due to the technical nature of the product, previous exposure to pipe welding and forming is desired. This company is building one of the country’s most efficient large O.D. DSAW (double submerged arc welded) spiral weld pipe mill operations. Additional equipment consists of beveling machines, end expansion, hydrostatic testing, cement lining and a complete finishing floor. Future expansion will include the addition of a fabrication shop and coating facility. Therefore, the individual hired will be expected to assist in the construction, personnel recruiting and hiring, training, start-up and operation of this new 290,000 square foot facility. The Plant Manager will maintain an optimum manufacturing status through efficient equipment and personnel utilization. This being a greenfield operation, a strong emphasis on team selection and training is imperative.
The span of control for this position will include all manufacturing, maintenance, quality and logistics. There will be approximately 60 employees initially at the plant. All products are manufactured to AWWA, ASTM or ASCE specifications and range in size from 24” O.D. to 144” O.D. Wall thickness ranges up to 1.00”. Total scope of this capital project will exceed $90 Million.
Due to the nature of the product, a previous exposure to pipe making, roll forming, rolling mills or metal fabricating is desired. Experience with DSAW is a plus.
This position reports directly to the Vice President of Operations. The Plant Manager will direct all Maintenance and Operating activities with functional responsibility for Production, Materials, Quality, Human Resources, Safety and Logistics. The plant will be supported by additional departments and resources located in South Carolina with multi-site responsibilities.
As a key member of the division’s senior leadership team, the Plant Manager will also be expected to work closely with local sales. Therefore, it is known that this individual will be called upon for input concerning varying levels of technical expertise and personal opinions.
We are willing to hire a Plant Superintendent, Assistant Plant Mgr, Manufacturing Manager or similar level of experience and train them for 6-9 months in our Columbis SC plant/HQ.
Specific areas of responsibility for the Plant Manager include:
- Assist the Plant 3 Project Manager in overseeing the construction of this greenfield, state-of-the-art, Pipe making operation. The plant is being built by a large, local design build construction company who is responsible for the construction of the land and building and is currently under contract. Actual ground-breaking started the last week of January 2019.
- After start-up and commissioning of OEM pipe making equipment, oversee all profit and loss activities of the operating function as they relate to the manufacture of over 5000 feet per week of AWWA water pipe.
- Provide manufacturing and technical expertise and carry out programs which provide for the efficient utilization of a modern, world-class manufacturing facility.
- Hire, motivate, train and develop a workforce of varying degrees of experience into a cohesive goal-oriented workforce. Recognize the need for key position backup.
- Maintain a strong corporate culture promoting safety.
- Instill in the workforce a comprehensive quality-based attitude which will ensure compliance with regard to exceeding customer expectations.
- Prepare and administer annual operating budgets, forecasts, and cost reduction objectives and disseminate it to top management.
- Work closely with sales functions and review customer-based inquiries as they relate to changes in specifications, product applications, product development, and new product introductions.
- In support of the division senior team, design and implement an ongoing five-year strategic manufacturing capital expenditure plan which will allow for achieving corporate goals.
- Initiate capital expenditure proposals and develop short- and long-term enhancements to the company’s operating units.
- Assist with the evaluation and selection of key raw material vendors / programs and participation.
- Set strategic direction on total inventory levels
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate for this position will have steel pipe and tube and or steel fabrication experience with a minimum of 10 to 15 years direct experience in the manufacture of pipe products or equivalent products. They will also have a totally current and constantly expanding combination of technical ability and people-oriented management skills. His/her background will assuredly demonstrate flexible, open-minded and positive attitudes toward innovation and creativity as they relate to the manufacturing entity.
Past experience has shown that a B.S. Degree in a technical discipline (Metallurgical, Welding, Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial, etc.) is desirable for an individual to be successful. Ideally, a strong management background coupled with a good business sense and the ability to interpret and act upon data from various operating entities is highly desirable.
The individual sought should be recognized as a “take charge” individual which should be evidenced by past accomplishments. The ability to plan, organize, and participate in a team approach to key decision-making is essential. Additionally, above average intelligence, a high energy level, persuasive personality and soundness of character, as well as a professional perspective to decision-making should be clearly evident.
The successful candidate will have unquestioned integrity and a proven ability to impact and communicate in an articulate manner (electronic, written and verbal) and still be appropriately opportunistic in assuming a leadership role. The proper balance between analytical and creative abilities is essential. A strong adherence to performance standards for all personnel is expected. A charismatic leadership style that instills confidence and respect should be clearly evident.