Dynamic, multidisciplinary architecture firm seeks a full-time Marketing & Communications Manager to educate and inspire, help connect the dots, and explore our world through multiple channels.
About Lowney Architecture
The Lowney Architecture team is passionate, agile, and committed to quality. Our civic-minded professionals use research-based design to deliver innovative solutions to our clients and community partners. We believe in being a good neighbor, and that thoughtfully and responsibly executed architecture has the power to change lives.
We operate from our home bases in Oakland, CA and Honolulu, HI, but our reach extends to wherever our clients take us! We understand that culture happens by design, not by accident. Our atmosphere is casual but focused. We work hard, and never forget to have fun in our pursuit of excellence. We invest in ourselves, in each other, and in efficiency.
About the Role
The Marketing & Communications Manager is a pivotal member of the Lowney Architecture team, responsible for driving all strategic and day-to-day marketing and business development initiatives for the firm. In addition to shaping public perception of the firm through execution of the brand in marketing collateral, print and digital publications, and web properties, the manager will expand PR and media relations, manage firm participation in public and virtual events, and spearhead pursuit marketing efforts.
The Marketing & Communications Manager will also oversee one junior marketing team member (Marketing Specialist), and manage key relationships with both industry and agency/vendor partners.
- 5+ years experience in the Architectural/Engineering/Construction (A/E/C) industry highly desired. The ideal candidate has a desire to remain in the industry, and grow into a leadership role within our firm.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business, or related field preferred.
- Familiarity with preparing firm statements of qualifications (SoQ) and requests for proposals (RFP).
- Proficiency with CRM software, exemplary record-keeping, and the ability to track and report.
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills. The ideal candidate is self-motivated and can work independently.
- Excellent relationship and team building skills. The ability to gain buy-in at all levels. The ability and desire to teach and mentor.
- Strong project management skills, including using tools to track and support (Trello), and the ability to drive/reinforce deadlines.
- The ability to maintain a high level of professionalism, assume positive intent, and maintain an ego-free work environment.
- Excellent verbal and written skills. Familiarity with strategic communications, content/inbound marketing strategy, and managing multi-channel campaigns.
- Prior experience in public and media relations, including managing agency partners and advertising budgets.
- Comfortable with growing and maintaining social media platforms (LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram), including copywriting, designing social graphics, and developing KPIs.
- A strong eye for graphic design, and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite. Comfortable designing for both print and digital distribution.
- Familiar with maintaining web properties (WordPress). Comfortable implementing marketing analytics, improving SEO, utilizing SEM, and reporting on performance.
Duties & Responsibilities
In collaboration with the Marketing Specialist and firm leadership, the Marketing & Communications Manager’s duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic planning, budgeting and reporting. Development of KPIs and other performance metrics, periodic reporting to firm stakeholders.
- Execution of firm-wide marketing programs, including development of digital and print media, print collateral, and bolstering firm’s community presence.
- Online reputation management, brand management, PR, and messaging.
- Promote and manage external events including the LowneyArts program exhibitions, job fairs, client mixers, and others to increase market exposure and support strategic firmwide objectives.
- Prepare and maintain a marketing database, including firm biographies, studio qualifications, staff resumes, project summaries, case stories, photography, letters of recommendation, and references.
- Periodically update and create print and digital marketing collateral, including presentation decks, brochures, fliers, banners, posters, and any other promotional materials as-needed.
- Assist with online and in-person recruiting through creation of ads, social posts, maintaining job boards, and coordinating candidate interviews as-needed.
- Regular website maintenance and content updates (WordPress). Familiarity with Google Analytics, SEO, and SEM.
- Lead partner marketing initiatives, including management of agency and media partners, sponsorships, and opportunities for regional and/or national awards and contest submissions.
- Implementation of an editorial calendar to support firm's strategic growth in geographic markets and industry verticals, including blog content, email marketing, contributed thought leadership articles, podcasts, media interviews, and social media content.
Business Development (~30%)
- Assist firm leadership with lead generation, prospect nurturing, and other BD tasks as assigned.
- Manage monthly pursuits list, and facilitate team “Go/No-Go” conversations. Work with Studio Directors and other team members to improve processes for evaluating and tracking opportunities.
- Lead SoQ and RFP efforts in collaboration with Marketing Specialist and assigned studio professionals.
- Create interview materials, and facilitate interview team preparation. Conduct client debrief meetings as-needed.
- Coordinate and attend any virtual and/or in-person events, tradeshows, and conferences in support of firmwide BD initiatives.
- Optimize prospective client searches in target markets and verticals, contribute to the firm’s revenue goals, and the expansion of market share relative to our competitors. Manage supporting databases and tools.
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your experience, and describing why you would be a great fit for the role (500 words or less) to: email@example.com. Your cover letter will be evaluated as a writing sample. While not required, a digital portfolio (under 10MB) or weblinks to design and/or content samples, including any notable industry-specific campaign materials are greatly appreciated.
PLEASE NOTE: In light of COVID-19 workplace restrictions, this position will be remote to start. Candidates should be local to the San Francisco Bay Area, and be willing to eventually work in our Uptown Oakland office. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Why Work Here?Lowney Architecture is a 50-person enterprising, design driven, and civic-minded architecture firm in downtown Oakland. We work with clients to build urban communities where people can experience unique moments within the universality of everyday life, enhancing livability through unorthodox thinking, progressive ideas, a scaled approach and inspired designs. Our design excellence and technical expertise in buildings includes multi-family, mixed-use, and retail. Our office culture is one of casual professionalism. We work hard and we push each other, but we never forget to have fun in the pursuit of excellence. We want you to enjoy working here.
Great team environment, beautiful open office space, awesome benefits, room for growth, supports AXP and prep for the ARE's.