As a nonprofit organization, we are dedicated to the elimination of animal suffering and have been committed to serving the needs of the people and animals in New Orleans and across the region for more than 130 years.Our mission is to promote, protect and advance the well-being of Louisiana's companion animals.
Overview of Job:
The Louisiana SPCA Community Clinic provides access to high-quality, high-volume spay/neuter services as well as preventative and essential veterinary care. The position plays a crucial role in keeping pets and owners united throughout the course of medical treatment, with the primary focus being the care of the animal and the client, to help enhance the lives of both the pet and the person. The Veterinary Technician assists the veterinarian(s) as needed both in surgery and with other duties, as well as ensuring that the community clinic facility and equipment is clean and in good working order. Provide humane care and excellent quality of life for all animals in the community clinic by monitoring the health of the animals in the community clinic, and prepare animals for veterinary care and spay/neuter surgery. Promote and support the LA/SPCA's programs and mission.
Success Criteria & Essential Functions:
- Able to multi-task, and work at a rapid pace, this position is responsible for the triage of all patients as they are checked in. This involves accurately reporting health concerns to lead veterinary technician or veterinarian;
- Must demonstrate excellent verbal and communication skills to communicate with the public in a professional and courteous manner, as well as translate procedures and protocols in a non-technical way; Maintain confidentiality regarding all cases;
- This role prepares patients for surgery as instructed, transports clients from prep room to the operating room, restrains patients during anesthesia induction and intubation, and monitor patients on gas anesthesia;
- Assist veterinarians in surgery and responsible for patients during recovery, actively monitoring animal behavior, reporting any changes in health or concerns;
- Perform daily cleaning of kennels, cages, kitchen and public areas when necessary and spot clean all areas throughout the day; Clean prep room and operating room at the end of the day and wash and sterilize all surgical packs throughout the day; Load washer and dryer with soiled items; return clean items to proper locations;
- Ensure that both the prep room ad operating rooms have adequate supplies and ample stock;
- Team-focused and with a positive attitude assists the main service desk including client intake and release;
- Assist in orienting new veterinary staff in surgical and cleaning protocols and procedures;
- Works courteously and cooperatively with other staff members and volunteers.
- Perform all other duties as requested by Supervisor;
Education and/or Experience: RVT not required, but MUST have at least 1 year of veterinary medical experience. Must have a high school diploma or GED. Some college preferred.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills, and Knowledge: Must be able to pass a criminal background check and pre-employment substance screening
- Should not be allergic to animals, and must be able to work around all types of animals;
- Must not be allergic to nuts or nut products;
- Be able and willing to lift high volumes of dogs and cats each day
- Be able to stand for 8 or more hours
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds; push and pull heavy objects; bend, twist, reach; perform strenuous physical activities including frequent walking and running, standing, bending and stooping.
- Have good hearing including the ability to distinguish changes in pitch
- Agile and flexible
- Able to move through tightly cramped areas in various situations
- Acceptable sense of touch and smell
- Potentially subject to animal bites and scratches.
- Works in an area with a high noise level.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro