This position plans and assists in the supervision of electricians, mechanics, and millwrights conducting maintenance and repairs of operating equipment for an export grain facility. The Maintenance Supervisor position is responsible for assisting with the development of reliability based maintenance strategy, based on preventive and predictive maintenance. The Maintenance Supervisor will work directly with management to maximize the efficient utilization of CMMS /EPAC systems. Primary functions are to maximize run time by ensuring that the machines and the computer control system for the plant remain in good working order by maintenance personnel & contractors so as to optimize plant efficiencies. This position will be expected to generate and maintain parts and repair data into various spreadsheets, cost analysis, and budgetary reports. The Maintenance Supervisor will be responsible for complying with all applicable company standards and government regulations.
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Maintains good working knowledge of Safety, Health, and Environmental (SHE) policies, rules and procedures pertinent to areas of responsibility and ensures all applicable requirements are adhered to.
- Plans and assists with the supervision of the maintenance staff that is conducting repairs on operating equipment
- Collects and processes predictive/reliability data from plant equipment to schedule repairs by maintaining good communication with production personnel and the Maintenance Superintendent.
- Coordinates, in conjunction with Maintenance Superintendent and plant operations staff, to accomplish all tasks in a safe and timely manner.
- Learns plant process and procedures for better understanding of how equipment is utilized.
- Ensures orderly shift change by communicating issues and/or ongoing tasks with operations staff, Maintenance Superintendent and maintenance staff.
- Collects, records and analyzes production (including downtime) data to optimize efficiencies and product quality.
- Experienced in the use of email, spreadsheet and word processing programs.
- Responsible for conducting scheduled evaluations and reports.
- Ensures accuracy of all time clock information.
- Performs all required inspection rounds. Records all visual damage and mechanical problems that occur while on shift.
- Predictive and preventive maintenance scheduling which includes holding regular meetings with personnel to plan / isolate and repair equipment problems in a scheduled down time.
- Plans and distributes daily work orders, gathering parts needed and checking spare parts inventory by utilizing CMMS / EPAC system.
- Documents work in CMMS (parts and labor). Inspects work quality and updates the status of the Work Orders.
- Maintains equipment information, repair files, and parts data for up-to-date accuracy.
- Keeps track of critical parts inventory. Helps maintain & keep current the critical spare parts inventory.
- Plans and supervises maintenance jobs and projects as directed and assigned to insure a safe, timely and cost-effective outcome.
- Ensures employees are provided required training for area, jobs and tasks prior to assigning work. Ensures areas of responsibility are maintained in an orderly and safe manner.
- Promptly reports unsafe working conditions to management and communicates potential hazards to affected employees.
- Promptly reports all incidents to management and conducts incident investigation when assigned as soon as practical, but no later than 24 hours from time of incident.
- Performs job/cost analysis, safety/risk analysis and preventative maintenance analysis.
- Notifies Management of any production problems.
- Ensures work area is kept clean and free from safety hazards.
- Conducts "toolbox" maintenance and safety meetings as required.
- Accepts/carries out/completes other duties as assigned.
- This position participates in plant start-ups and shut-downs as directed.
Company Conformance Statements
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with co-workers, Company business associates, ILWU and the general public.
- Work together in a cooperative spirit to serve the best interests of the Company.
- Operate in a fully responsible manner and comply with the law and Company policy.
- Vibration analysis and calibration tools
- Typical office equipment: PC, telephone, fax machine
- Use of proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when required
- Industrial machinery and grain elevator operating equipment
- Use of electrical tools and testing equipment
Off-shift call-in requirements when needed. Extensions of regular working hours are necessary to complete time-sensitive projects, attend training, or to respond to emergencies. Depending on business conditions and seasonal demands night, weekend, and holiday work is not uncommon. Frequent visits to industrial operation areas are necessary with exposure to a variety of temperatures, prevailing weather conditions, and some exposure to chemicals, gases, vapors, dust, odors and flammable liquids. There will be occasional exposure to areas with wet floors and high volume of noise. Position will require some stair climbing. Work is sometimes above ground level.
- Assists the Maintenance Superintendent in directing electricians, maintenance personnel and contractors.
- Plans and assists with the controlling of maintenance functions and staff at an export grain facility.
- Plans and allocates the work of maintenance personnel to achieve daily production goals.
- Investigates and resolves any operating equipment issues.
- Maintenance Planner must follow supervisor's directions to ensure peak production efficiencies and safe conditions.
- Must employ an understanding of Company standards and government regulations with respect to areas of responsibility to ensure ongoing compliance.
Safety, Health & Environmental Responsibilities
- Maintains good working knowledge of SHE policies, rules and procedures applicable to area of responsibility and ensures all applicable requirements are adhered to. Ensures employees are provided required training for area and jobs and tasks prior to assigning work. Ensures area of responsibility is maintained in orderly and safe manner. Promptly reports unsafe working conditions to management and communicates potential hazards to affected employees. Promptly reports all incidents to management and conducts incident investigation as soon as practicable; no later than 24 hours from time of incident.
Louis Dreyfus Company provides equal employment opportunities to all without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other protected status.
The following are basic qualifications:
- Knowledge of maintaining bulk conveying equipment and systems
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, procedures and industrial processing machinery
- Knowledge of manufacturing, regulatory and safety requirements the facility operates under ( e.g. , OSHA, EPA, WISHA)
- Knowledge of and ability to operate computer control systems
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to give direction with respect to operation/repairs
- Ability to withstand extended periods of walking and standing
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders as well as work at extended heights of 175 feet, manage confined space entry, withstand extended periods of walking and standing, and move manufacturing materials, products and equipment of 50 pounds or more, which requires regular bending and lifting.
- Manage confined space entry, hot work, electric tool and lockout tag out (LOTO) permits.
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience with PC based maintenance programs and conducts training and follow up with technicians in the use of these systems
- Knowledge of ISO 9000
- Some experience as an industrial maintenance supervisor.
- Two years of experience in welding, cutting, gearbox repair, pump alignment, material handling systems, preventative maintenance with exposure and/or instrument and electrical work in an industrial processing facility or in a machine shop with exposure to PM programs