Laboratory Technician #710384
- Expired: January 23, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
Position: Laboratory Technician #710384
Department: Health Services
Report to: Nursing Management
Compensation: $20.00-$26.39 per hour, plus $1.75 per hour Shift Differential Premium for hours worked between 6pm-6am
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm
Benefits: 100%, Full-Time, Non-Exempt, Union
Probation: 90 days
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision; also including Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, and a 403(b) Retirement Plan
Building a world where LGBT people thrive as healthy, equal, and complete members of society.
DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: As the nation's largest and most experienced provider of LGBT medical and mental health services, we help LGBTQ people lead healthier, happier lives, by keeping their minds and body well. All services are free or low cost. We're also one of the few Federally Qualified Health Centers in the nation with providers who specialize in primary care for LGBTQ people and with a research team working to advance the care and treatment of people in our community.
JOB SUMMARY: The Laboratory Technician serves as an integral member of the health services team and will perform laboratory procedures, point of care testing, phlebotomy, and process specimens for sending to outside laboratories.
1) Serves as part of a multidisciplinary care team to provide a full range of laboratory services;
2) Works in collaboration with Medical Providers and other Health Services staff to maintain an effective and efficient program;
3) Facilitates patient access to laboratory services;
4) Assures that blood draw stations, point of care platform areas, and specimen processing areas are always clean and properly stocked with appropriately functioning equipment and non-expired supplies;
5) Performs laboratory tests as ordered by Medical Provider, and perform laboratory tests per standing order/protocol;
6) Performs venous blood draws and finger-sticks per protocol;
7) Collects throat specimens;
8) Processes specimens for point of care testing and for send-out to outside laboratories;
9) Performs CLIA-waived laboratory tests with proper quality controls; records and distributes results;
10) Assists in completing necessary paperwork, including transcription of orders and lab requests;
11) Maintains complete and accurate files documenting all care and laboratory services provided in the patient's health record;
12) Verifies test requests and tracks specimens that are sent to the various reference laboratories using the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system or manual methods;
13) Maintains files of patient lab requisitions, EMR Manifests, and other paperwork in chronological order;
14) Receives, tracks, and distributes test results from the various reference laboratories;
15) Monitors laboratory refrigerators and freezers, and maintains temperature logs; notifies supervisor of any out of range temperatures;
16) Answers phones calls, takes messages, and follows-up;
17) Communicates critical reports to the clinicians without delay;
18) Interacts in a professional manner with health services staff and patients;
19) Exercises appropriate judgment and decision-making skills;
20) Uses standard office machinery including personal computers and printers in performance of duties;
21) Assists in data auditing tasks;
22) Participates in staff meetings, agency meetings, planning meetings, and other meetings as needed;
23) Complies with requirements of OSHA, HIPAA, and other applicable regulations;
24) Other duties as assigned;
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1) Knowledge of or experience working with the LGBTQ community and familiarity with issues of particular relevance to LGBTQ people;
2) A passion for the Center's work and its mission to make the world a better place for LGBTQ people;
3) Minimum 3 years of experience in direct patient care; preferably in an ambulatory care setting;
4) Medical Assistant certification/diploma from approved training program required;
5) Current AHA CPR certification;
6) Basic knowledge of infectious diseases;
7) Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, detail, and interpersonal skills;
8) Computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office, word processing, Electronic Health Records, and other software systems;
9) Ability to be self-motivated and dedicated to initiating and completing complex tasks;
10) Ability to handle multiple tasks, be detail oriented, and maintain strict confidentiality of medical information;
11) Able to work well independently with minimum supervision;
12) Bilingual skills, a plus (English/Spanish fluency preferred);
13) Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expression, socio-economic backgrounds, religions, ages, English-speaking abilities, immigration status, and physical abilities in a multicultural environment.
The Los Angeles LGBT Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from all persons regardless of their race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical/physical/mental condition, pregnancy/childbirth and related medical condition, age, marital status, or veteran status.
The Center has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy as a condition of employment for all employees who work on the Center's premises, subject to applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Los Angeles LGBT Center
AddressLos Angeles, CA
HealthcareView all jobs at Los Angeles LGBT Center
Get fresh Medical Clinical Laboratory Technician jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.