The Los Angeles Film School, a leader in entertainment arts education, is seeking instructors for our Associate of Science and Bachelor of Science in Music Production Degrees. These degree programs are a balanced study of the fundamentals of music theory, modern sequencing, recording technologies, and the workings of the music business.
We are looking for creative, passionate individuals with a background in training or teaching to work with our student body of young creatives from diverse cultural and educational backgrounds.
The School provides a benefit package to full-time instructors.
We are seeking online instructors located in either the Los Angeles, CA or Orlando, FL areas.
Please read the Experience and Education Required section below. Our accreditation requires verification of the education and work experience requirements. We cannot consider applicants who do not meet these requirements.
Ideal applicants are capable of teaching in multiple areas of specialty. Currently we have positions available in the following areas of instruction:
- Music Production for Media: A foundational level course focusing on the creation and production of music for film, television, advertising, and other media. Topics include industry workflow, conventions of spotting and scoring for picture, and music production techniques used in marketing and advertisement. The course is taught primarily in Logic Pro X and Pro Tools.
- Digital Audio Workstations: Introductory production skills in the Digital Audio Workstation environment focusing in the development of DAW skills by application to music compositions. Taught in Logic Pro X, topics include MIDI mapping and programming, editing, synthesis, and automation.
- Music Composition: An intermediate music theory course focused on the study of melody and accompaniment using music composition software. Topics include song form analysis and chord movement, along with techniques in subtractive synthesis and sound design.
- Musical Listening and Identification: A survey of the evolution of modern music from its roots through to the present. The course focuses on the characteristics of a wide spectrum of musical genres and their transformative effects on music and culture. This course also introduces the student to basic DAW skills through use of Logic Pro X.
- Serve as the instructor for assigned course(s) or course sections and are responsible for teaching, advising students, grading and other related administrative duties
- Provide expertise in assigned content area and maintain current knowledge in the field
- Provide strong academic support to students via personal meetings, phone, and e-mail to ensure successful student achievement of learning outcomes
- Conduct weekly virtual online office hours for student support
- Monitor and lead online discussion boards and chat activity
- Grade subjective examinations, projects, and other work in a timely manner
- Conduct weekly live synchronous online sessions
- Efficiently and professionally support students with clear communication, concerned care, and creative and timely solutions to problems
- Utilize student feedback to continuously improve course instruction and make curriculum recommendations
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of course materials and assist in developing and implementing retention initiatives as directed by the Program Director.
- Maintain accurate academic records including grades, attendance, and student communications, in full compliance with federal and state privacy laws
- Perform these responsibilities with the highest professional standards consistent with the vision, mission, and strategy of the Los Angeles Film School.
- Exceptional interpersonal, problem-solving, and follow-up skills
- Ability to relate to and teach a diverse cultural audience
- Self-motivated, proactive, able to multi-task
- Positive attitude and a passion for teaching and mentoring students
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, with attention to detail
- Tactful, professional, collaborative and flexible in response to the needs of a dynamic organization
- Musical background with strong theory skills—keyboard proficiency preferred
- Proficiency with Apple/Mac environment and Microsoft Office applications
- Expertise with Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, or Ableton Live (software requirements vary by course)
- Knowledge of industry-standard music production hardware (microphones, preamps, keyboards, etc.)
- Solid understanding of the workings of the entertainment industry
- Awareness of current industry and musical/production trends
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recording Arts, Music Production, Music, or a related field required; Master’s Degree preferred
- Must have at least four years of related and verifiable professional experience
- Teaching experience—either online, on-ground, or both is preferred
Job Type: Full-Time
Bachelor of Science degrees in Animation & VFX, Entertainment Business and Graphic Design,
and Associate of Science degrees in Audio Production, Music Production and Film.
Located in the center of Hollywood, California, the college’s campus is comprised of 4 buildings,
including the historic RCA building and Ivar Theatre, and boasts industry-standard sound stages,
labs, dubbing stages, studios, a green screen and theatres, including a THX®-certified, RealD 3D®,
340-seat Main Theatre.
The Los Angeles Film School’s hands-on programs are taught by award-winning industry professionals
using industry-standard gear. For more info on degree programs call 323-860-0789 or visit www.lafilm.edu.