Demonstrate Christ-like behavior and attitude in all job duties and responsibilities.
The Pharmacy Technician assists the Pharmacist to perform routine duties in the pharmacy such as packaging, manipulative, repetitive or other nondiscretionary tasks, only while assisting and while under direct supervision and control of a pharmacist.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Includes but are not limited to the following: (Other duties may be assigned.)
- Assist the pharmacist, under direct supervision, in the practice of pharmacy, in accordance with local, state, federal and LACHC policies and standards.
- Assist pharmacist in scheduling and maintaining workflow.
- Maintain knowledge of loss prevention techniques.
- Assist other pharmacy technicians.
- Assist in training new employees.
- Unpacks and stores supplies, verify items received against invoices and against packing slips to verify all items are received and charges are correct.
- Maintains inventory of supplies and prepares orders for new supplies as requested by the Pharmacist.
- Place orders on shelves and verify all associated paperwork.
- Enter prescription orders into the computer.
- Communicate with insurance carriers to obtain payment for prescription claims.
- Communicate with prescribers and their agents to obtain refill authorization.
- At point of sale, verify that customer receives correct prescription(s)
- Assist patients who are dropping off or picking up prescription orders.
- Create and update patient’s health and insurance information in the computer.
- Fills containers with medications apportioned by machine and hand from bulk manufactured or purchased quantities, prints labels and affixes labels to containers.
- Compound oral solutions, ointments, and creams.
- Following written work orders, fills positioned vials by pouring bulk supply of capsules into hopper of machine counter and sets the machine for speed and count.
- Provides client with information and education when necessary.
- Participates in consumer and staff education programs.
- Maintain an awareness of developments in the community and pharmaceutical fields that relate to job responsibilities and integrate them into practice.
- Participates in all safety programs, which may include disaster response, fire safety, and/or medication safety teams.
- Serves as a back-up for medication delivery services to other sites
- Providing as needed telephone and administrative support for the department. Screen telephone calls for the pharmacist.
- Other responsibilities as assigned such as keeping work area in clean and orderly condition, cleaning equipment and running errands.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
· Strong organizational, prioritization, communications and mathematics
· Comprehensive understanding of third party pharmacy benefit plan
· Ability to type at least 35 words per minute.
· Comply with HIPPA in respecting confidentiality of patient data.
· Knowledge of medication brand and generic names.
· Professional demeanor and courteous attitude.
· Current and valid driver license.
· Current, personal vehicle insurance that complies with California’s minimum
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school graduate required. National Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) required.
Minimum two years experience in a retail pharmacy setting and/or managed care/pharmacy benefit environment preferred.
Bilingual and bilateral in English and Spanish is required. Exceptions will be considered.
Computer literate with ease in operating Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet software, Microsoft word, internet and other business software programs related to job functions.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We will consider candidates with criminal histories.