Medical Assistant (Back and Front Office)
- $19 to $21 Hourly
Los Angeles Center of Nose Throat and Allergy (LA CENTA) is dedicated to providing university caliber subspecialty care in the community setting. We are a company founded on the principle of availability and strive to improve the quality of community healthcare in Los Angeles and beyond. We aim to change the way healthcare is delivered and perceived.
LA CENTA is growing quickly! Medical Assistants at LA CENTA are the foundation of success in the clinic. We are seeking a self-motivated, outgoing and hard-working Medical Assistant to help the Physician and PA in clinic to perform patient intake, explain basic procedures, be responsible with front office duties, assist with procedures and help clinic to run as smoothly as possible. All Medical Assistants will report first to the medical assistant manager and patient service manager.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Room patients according to office standards.
- Verify patient information by interviewing patient; recording medical history; confirming purpose of visit.
- Prepare patients for examination by performing preliminary physical tests; taking blood pressure, weight, and temperature; reporting patient history summary in the EMR system accurately and in a timely manner.
- Coordinate patient care as directed by physicians.
- Process appropriate documents in an organized and accurate fashion
- Organize exam and treatment rooms, stock and clean rooms and sterilize instruments before and after each patient visit.
- Ensure patient medications are entered the EMR with each visit.
- Ensure the following information is entered into the EMR: Medical History Form/Questionnaire information, HMO authorizations, medical records from outside physicians, hospitals, laboratories, and/or radiology facilities,
- Assist physician with in-office procedures
- Assist in answering phones and scheduling patient appointments.
- Obtain medical records from outside physicians, hospitals, laboratories, and/or radiology facilities when needed.
- Ensure that all messages are reviewed before the end of the day for proper handling.
- Secure patient information and maintain patient confidence by completing and safeguarding medical records; and keeping patient information confidential.
- Maintain safe, secure, and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Keep supplies ready by inventorying stock and advising Manager when supplies run low.
- Keep equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; and notifying Manager when repair calls are necessary.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Serve and protect the ENT practice by adhering to professional standards, policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements
- Enhance practice reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
- Respect patient confidentiality at all times
- Welcomes and greets patients and visitors, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries.
- Verifies insurance/eligibility information and ensures appropriate forms are signed and dated.
- Verifies patient demographics and insurance information when scheduling appointments.
- Optimizes patients' satisfaction, physician time, and treatment room utilization by notifying back office staff when patients have arrived (if applicable).
- Prepares lab requisition forms as requested by physicians (if applicable).
- Scans Radiology and Lab requisitions to patient files (if applicable).
- Records outcome of reminder calls made to patients scheduled for procedures, Radiology,
- Labs and in-office appointments in AdvancedMD
- Keeps patient appointments on schedule by reviewing service delivery compared to schedule; and notifying Manager/Supervisor of service delays.
- Comforts patients by anticipating patients' anxieties; answering patients' questions; maintaining the reception area (if applicable).
- Ensures availability of treatment information by filing and retrieving patient records.
- Maintains patient accounts by obtaining, recording, and updating personal and financial information.
- Helps patients in distress by responding to emergencies.
- Protects patients' rights by maintaining confidentiality of personal and financial information.
- Maintains operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Assist in the creation of new patient welcome packets.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate LA CENTA commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with each internal and external customer.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the complete operation of switchboards and follows opening and closing switchboard procedures according to site-specific policies (if applicable).
- Handles all phases of telephone communications, including scheduling in-office appointments, allergy testing and obtains test authorizations.
- Routes all calls to appropriate departments and takes accurate and neat messages and forwards them in a timely manner.
- Handles all emergency calls appropriately according to site-specific policies.
- Briefs Patient Service Center Manager/Supervisor of all outstanding calls or information.
- Maintains accurate directories of providers’ phone numbers.
- Maintains accurate daily schedule and communicates as appropriate.
- Maintains awareness of duties of each department in order to process calls efficiently.
- Acts as translator as needed with patients and as requested by physicians (if applicable).
- Assists with entering information into the EMR system.
- Requests patient records as needed for physicians (if applicable).
- Inform physicians when consults are requested.
- Reports urgently needed switchboard equipment repairs to Supervisor/Manager.
- Uses, protects, and discloses patients’ protected health information according to HIPPA guidelines.
- Adheres to safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Practice discretion about internal clinical policies and procedures when speaking to patients.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are reflective of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- HS Diploma/ GED Required
- Graduated from accredited medical assistant program
- Ear Nose Throat & Allergy specialty clinic experience required
- Bilingual-fluent in both English and Spanish required
- At least 1 year of front desk/ patient experience in a medical setting
- Be able to travel to the Los Angeles area for 2-4 weeks of training
- Willing to be cross-trained
- General knowledge of HIPAA and CPT codes
- Must be able to travel within our various Los Angeles based clinics
- Excellent communication skills with patients, physicians, and staff
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and decision-making skills
- Ability to work in a relatively unsupervised environment with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to operate various office equipment necessary to perform job functions
- Team player with a pleasant attitude towards the practice of medicine
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Individual will be required to:
- Sit for long periods at a time
- Use hands and fingers in repetitive motions, daily
- Ability to lift, push, pull up to 10 lbs. periodically
- Travel to clinic locations or sites as needed
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Here at LA CENTA we offer medical, dental, and vision insurance. Some perks include employee highlight incentives, paid time off and more! Come be a part of our growing organization and its opportunities for your career development! You will learn and develop alongside a team of professionals who aim to excel in the healthcare industry. Apply now!
Equal Employment Opportunity
LA CENTA is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunities for applicants and Employees. Employment decisions will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Immigration and Nationality Act, the California Fair Employment and Housing Act, and all other applicable state and federal laws. LA CENTA does not permit discrimination of any type against an employee because of any of the following legally protected characteristics: gender, race, color, religion, country of origin, mental disability, physical disability, marital status, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, age, sexual orientation, or pregnancy.'
Los Angeles Center for Ear Nose Throat and Allergy
1700 E Cesar E Chavez AveLos Angeles, CA
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.