MAINTENANCE / BOILER OPERATOR
Loras College is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an educational and work environment that is inclusive, rich in diversity, and supportive of all students, faculty and staff. Individuals from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Will work 3rd shift (6 pm 6 am) from October through April and 1st shift (7 am 3:30 pm) from May through September. Will perform general maintenance work in Physical Plant during non-heating season. Operates and maintains the medium pressure boiler plant machinery and related equipment during heating season.
- Performs general maintenance work in Physical Plant during non-heating season.
- Assists with other maintenance work such as window screens, venetian blinds, and vacuum cleaner repair.
- Clears assigned areas outside of boiler plant of snow, leaves, and other debris.
- Keeps boiler plant clean.
- Starts and stops boilers as needed and transfers boilers to fuel oil when required.
- Monitors pressure and temperature gauges as well as water levels in sight glasses to ensure proper operation of boilers and equipment.
- Performs chemical tests on boiler condensation and monitors chemical usage.
- Takes meter readings as required. Regularly checks for water, air, or steam leaks from pipes, pumps and compressors.
- Supports the mission and vision of the College and respects the College's Catholic tradition.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED) required.
Experience: Minimum of two years related experience in the operation and maintenance of boilers or mechanical maintenance activities preferred but not required.
Computer Skills: Proficient in the use of a personal computer and Microsoft Office Suite preferred.
Other Requirements: Valid driver's license required. Able to work well independently. Good problem-solving skills. Solid hand/eye coordination. Available to work nights, weekends and holidays when necessary.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Subject to varying inside and/or outside temperatures at times, which may include extreme heat (temperatures above 100 degrees) or extreme cold (temperatures below 32 degrees). Work is performed both inside and outside, subject to weather. Subject to fumes, odors, dusts, gases, etc., at times.
Access to health, dental, life and long-term disability insurance; Paid time off for vacation, personal, sick, holidays, and doctor appointments; Free access to onsite fitness center; Tuition remission for employee, spouse and children; and Retirement plan employer match.