Part Time Custodian
Livingston Parish Library Livingston, LA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Location: South Branch
Schedule: 10 hours weekly (Wednesday & Friday: 9:00am 2 pm)
Under the supervision of the Branch Manager, the Custodian is responsible for maintaining a clean, comfortable and safe environment for library patrons. Custodian identifies and reports all problems related to the main library to the Branch Manager, and recommends solutions to those problems. Work requires the use of power and hand tools in the performance of a variety of tasks of moderate complexity. Custodian responds to building emergencies during and after hours of library operation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Establishes and maintains schedule of routine janitorial and general maintenance work required to keep up appearance and safety of library facilities and grounds (public and office areas) and
performs/oversees performance of these custodial routines on a regular basis. For example, but not limited to vacuums carpets; cleans and maintains furniture in public and staff areas; cleans glass and counter areas; dusts books shelves; empties trash cans and hauls waste to dumpster; straightens tables and chairs; cleans restrooms and changes supplies; picks up scraps of debris; damp or dry mops; assists staff in arrangement of furniture and equipment, etc.; assists staff on special decorating projects; orders and maintains inventory of cleaning equipment, janitorial and other building supplies; runs errands pertaining to custodial duties.
- Clean entrance glass (inside and out).
- Dust mop foyer and circulation area.
- Vacuum high traffic carpet.
- Vacuum door mat at front door.
- Empty trash cans.
- Clean and disinfect restroom fixtures, sinks, mirrors, urinals, and toilets.
- Empty trash cans and clean receptacles.
- Refill dispensers as needed in restrooms.
- Sweep and mop floors.
- Spot clean walls and partitions.
- Sweep front porch and entrance from parking lot to front door.
- Sweep front sidewalks the length of the building.
- Collect all leaves and trash from sweeping porch, entrance, and sidewalks and bag.
- Clean benches on front porch.
- Damp mop foyer, circulation area, staff lounge, and meeting room.
- Dust work stations.
- Clean sinks, tables, counter tops, cabinets, outside of appliances. (No dishes)
- Spot clean walls.
- Clean light switches.
- Vacuum all carpets.
- Dust furniture.
- Dust window sills.
- Clean water fountains.
- Dust all open shelves.
- Dust wall clocks.
- Dust base boards.
- Sweep around chiller unit, etc.
- Sweep sidewalks on sides and rear of building.
Every 6 months
- Clean light fixtures.
- Clean windows inside and out.
- Clean restroom walls and partitions.
Library work atmosphere
- Proper dress
- Proper conduct with staff and patrons
Tools and Equipment Used
Vacuums, mops, brooms, and other hand tools, ladders, etc.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements
- High school diploma or its equivalent preferred.
- Demonstrates knowledge of skills and abilities in using equipment, materials and supplies used in building and grounds maintenance.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills in the use of equipment and supplies necessary to do minor repairs. Some knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedules.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with library staff, supply and service personnel.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hand and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each job duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge skills or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
Livingston Parish Library
Real EstateView all jobs at Livingston Parish Library