Our client is an innovative EdTech company based in North Billerica, MA! For this role, they are hoping to find a candidate who has experience with Unity development as it pertains to game development. This role is based in their San Francisco office by the Montgomery BART
Your game development skills can help children learn! Our team creates delightful, award-winning games that help students master math and develop a positive relationship with an intellectual challenge. Our studio creates games in unique circumstances. Rather than building a game that will find its market niche for some months (years if you're lucky) and moving onto the next game, our games are platforms for learning that will continue to evolve over the next 5-10 years as our relationship to curricula advances. Our engineering team is looking to hire a Software Engineer to help us develop cross-platform games and expand existing titles. Join us if you want to make games that positively impact kids' lives with internal architecture as beautiful as their outward appearance.
The impact you’ll have:
· Make learning games: we’re a small team, so your focus is implementation. You’ll be collaborating with all to add new features and game mechanics to existing titles, bring new game concepts from prototype to polished final product, iteratively refine student interactions to maximize learning and fun – and fix bugs, of course!
· Build tools: you’ll also enable us to evolve and expand our library of education and game components that underlie our suite of mobile and web games in multiple genres by automating parts of our development pipeline.
· Help mentor game engineers on a growing team: perform team code reviews and share knowledge about our tools infrastructure as it evolves, as well as design patterns, 3rd party libraries and more.
What we’re looking for:
· Passion for helping children learn.
· Ability to work from our San Francisco office, located next to Montgomery BART.
· 2+ years working in the game industry, 2+ years working on the Unity platform (not including internships and co-ops).
· A portfolio of diverse, high-quality, cross-platform games.
· Ability to discuss the merits of common game patterns and reusable architecture. Willingness to advocate for additional improvements to our technology and processes.
· Comfort taking on myriad responsibilities on a small, entrepreneurial, collaborative, Agile team.
We’d also love to see, though not required:
· Mobile experience
· Experience creating tools/services for reuse across diverse titles
· Tech art
· Passion for improving the production pipeline
· Experience optimizing for performance and memory footprint
More about the team:
· We’re a tight-knit, passionate crew often greeted by cheers and applause when we walk into classrooms – we’ve even signed autographs for our kid fans.
· We're more willing to invest in testing and solid foundational design than other game studios.
· We also have constraints like a need to make initial WebGL export files very lean so we can support schools with low internet bandwidth.