Lead Platform Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
Position: Lead Platform Engineer
Reports to: Engineering Manager
Location: Loveland, CO
Compensation: $85,000 - $130,000 (Depends on experience)
The Lightning team works with forward-thinking fleets to engineer, deliver, and manage full transportation electrification solutions, including vehicles, charging, data analysis, and energy infrastructure.
Lightning eMotors designs and manufactures zero-emission all-electric medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, including delivery trucks, shuttle buses, passenger vans, chassis-cab models, and city transit buses. The Lightning products include best-of-class commercial EVs based on leading legacy platforms like the Ford Transit 350HD passenger and cargo vans, Ford E-450 shuttle bus and cutaway models, Ford F-59 step/food van, Ford F-550 cargo trucks and buses, Chevrolet 6500XD Low Cab Forward model, and 30-foot, 35-foot, and 40-foot transit buses.
Why join Us?
Here at Lightning, we focus on innovation, exceeding expectations, collaboration, integrity in our work, and respect for all.
We are a fast-growing public company, and we are continuing to scale our teams and capabilities while also maintaining our leadership within the commercial electric vehicle market. This is your opportunity to be an integral part of the team, working with like-minded professionals who are dedicated not only to making a difference in our world but also transforming the automotive industry.
About our Headquarters
We are headquartered in the heart of beautiful Northern Colorado!
Loveland is located just 45 minutes north of Denver/DIA; 40 minutes from Boulder; 35 minutes from Rocky Mountain National Park/Estes Park; and only 15 minutes from Fort Collins, the home of Colorado State University. Whether you are an art lover, outdoor enthusiast, foodie, wildlife admirer, big-city dreamer, or just want to get away, Loveland is the ideal location; and Lightning eMotors is grateful to be a part of this wonderful city.
Visit us at: www.lightningemotors.com to learn more about our organization and living in Colorado!
This role participates in the design, implementation, maintenance, and evolution of electric vehicle systems. The person in this position will explore new product features to help operate systems more effectively; work to improve engineering quality and operational excellence for the whole team; and develop strategies to increase customer satisfaction while working to reduce costs and labor.
This role is responsible for bridging the gap between the software, hardware, testing, and customer management teams so that all teams perform effectively and efficiently. The person in this role will act as technical point of contact for a current vehicle platform and will support both the serial production and assembly of EV systems.
- Provide technical guidance and direction for a small team of engineers on the Platform Engineering Team
- Work with mechanical, electrical, and controls engineers within the R&D and Engineering teams to manage on-time release of platform product development
- Understand and coordinate vehicle level customer needs of assigned platform into executable system-level and component-level requirements
- Generate high-level system and component design specifications and objectives
- Provide an interface for Engineering support during production launch in a production environment
- Incorporate field reliability and customer feedback from the Customer Operations team and Technical Account Managers into product roadmap
- Manage program direction, and track both progress and issues with external suppliers as well as consultants
- Implement cost reduction and labor reduction strategies
- Track engineering related KPIs for specific platform (including uptime, reliability, cost, assembly time, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
- Leadership: Desire to coach, mentor, and transfer knowledge to teammates. Ability to shape the business at all levels within the organization.
- Technically minded: Expertise in electric vehicles, or similar field, with systems-level thinking and data-driven decision making capabilities. Ability to read drawings, prints, schematics, and diagrams as well as ability to read and interpret control logic diagrams.
- Analytical: Use analytical, reasoning, and critical thinking skills to solve problems. Possess ability to collect, organize, analyze, and report on data with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to interact respectfully with all colleagues and customers. Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills are essential along with the ability to listen intently to others. Must be comfortable presenting in different settings, including presenting to executive leadership.
- Time management: Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines, remain organized, and focused on work in a manufacturing environment; as well as maintain accuracy and high attention to detail in fast-paced environment.
- Teamwork: Work with cross-functional teams and build strong partnerships with other employees. Be motivated to follow-through on projects as an individual and teammate.
What we require:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Controls Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field; or equivalent work experience in a directly related role
- 5+ years of experience as a Lead Project Engineer, Controls/Systems Engineer, Design Engineer, or similar role
- Demonstrated ability to generate system boundary diagrams and DFMEAs
- Demonstrated experience writing component and system specifications to meet high level objectives
- Demonstrated experience turning customer expectations into engineering requirements
What we prefer:
- Understanding of basic EV system architecture and components
- Knowledge and practical application of 3D CAD systems (PTC Creo preferred)
- Experience with BOM management and PLM systems
- Experience with CAN bus diagnostics and data logging with CANalyzer, PCAN and/or Kvaser
- Experience with writing control logic in Simulink, LabVIEW, Raptor, and/or Motohawk
- Experience with high-voltage DC systems, particularly in PHEV, EV, or FCEV applications
- Exposure to Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) tools
Engineering levels: all degrees should be in an Engineering related course of study
- Engineer levels I and II: up to 2 years of professional experience combined with a Bachelor’s, or an advance degree combined with some work experience
- Senior: minimum of 5 years of experience with a Bachelor’s; or 3 years of experience with a Master’s degree; or a PhD; or equivalent work experience
- Lead: Minimum of 8 years of experience with a Bachelor’s; or 6 years of experience with a Master’s; or 3 years with a PhD; or equivalent work experience
Physical Demands and abilities
- Ability to lift 30-50 pounds
- Regularly perform repetitive tasks, including prolonged periods seated at a desk
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat, crouch, climb, kneel, and twist
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
Once hired, employees are offered generous benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance
- Health Savings Account and Health Reimbursement Plan (if enrolled in medical plan)
- Paid time off (accrued)
- Paid holidays
- Short and Long-term disability
- Life insurance
- Employee assistance program
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Lightning eMotors is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, military or veteran status.
Note: Statements included in this description are intended to reflect in general, the duties and responsibilities of this position and are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive.
Powered by JazzHR
EngineeringView all jobs at Lightning eMotors