Manager, Controls Engineering
- Posted: over a month ago
Position: Engineering Manager, Controls
Reports to: Director of Platform Engineering
Location: Loveland, CO
Division: Platform Engineering
Salary Range: $125,500 to $167,500 (Depends on Experience)
The Lightning team works with forward-thinking fleets to engineer, deliver, and manage full transportation electrification solutions, including vehicles, charging, data analysis, and energy infrastructure.
Lightning eMotors designs and manufactures zero-emission all-electric medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, including delivery trucks, shuttle buses, passenger vans, chassis-cab models, and city transit buses. The Lightning products include best-of-class commercial EVs based on leading legacy platforms like the Ford Transit 350HD passenger and cargo vans, Ford E-450 shuttle bus and cutaway models, Ford F-59 step/food van, Ford F-550 cargo trucks and buses, Chevrolet 6500XD Low Cab Forward model, and 30-foot, 35-foot, and 40-foot transit buses.
Why join Us?
Here at Lightning, we focus on innovation, exceeding expectations, collaboration, integrity in our work, and respect for all.
We are a fast-growing public company which enables us to continue scaling our teams and capabilities while also maintaining our leadership within the commercial electric vehicle market. This is your opportunity to be an integral part of the team, working with like-minded professionals who are dedicated not only to making a difference in our world but also transforming the automotive industry.
About our Headquarters
We are headquartered in the heart of beautiful Northern Colorado!
Loveland is located just 45 minutes north of Denver/DIA; 40 minutes from Boulder; 35 minutes from Rocky Mountain National Park/Estes Park; and only 15 minutes from Fort Collins, the home of Colorado State University. Whether you are an art lover, outdoor enthusiast, foodie, wildlife admirer, big-city dreamer, or just want to get away, Loveland is the ideal location; and Lightning eMotors is grateful to be a part of this wonderful city.
Visit us at: www.lightningemotors.com to learn more about our organization and living in Colorado!
The Controls Engineering Manager serves as the go-to person for anything related to controls on LeM platforms. They will lead a team and provide technical feedback through their blend of both technical and managerial knowledge.
- Be the controls architect for LeM products
- Manage a team of high performing controls engineers in a SCRUM environment
- Create and maintain controls algorithms in MATLAB Simulink for the various electric vehicle platform functions
- Develop unit tests and document results
- Develop and maintain control flow diagrams and specifications for the different platform functions
- Create manufacturing and commissioning requirements of the control system
- Install, test, and troubleshoot delivered customer systems (local and remote)
- Schedule, track, and organize software releases and their maturity levels
- Track DFMEA items to completion that are being mitigated by the control system
- Specify design validation plans for software releases
- Work with lead platform engineers to accommodate their needs for the various LeM platforms
- Manage and mentor other controls engineers
- Develop and implement best practices based on industry standards and document per ISO 9001.
- Develop and track key performance indicators (KPI’s) for the group and regularly report results to leadership.
- Perform recruiting, on-boarding, annual reviews, and other human resource related duties.
- Manage external engineering firms to supplement the team resources.
- Other duties as assigned
- Technically Adept: Stays on top of technology trends and is fluent in using technology to improve their effectiveness.
- Scale-Up Mentality: Keeps an agile mindset and can deal with change in a productive manner. Is willing to balance time and effort with the ups and downs of deadlines.
- Problem Solver: Ability to root cause engineering issues that arise on platforms and determine effective interim and permanent correct actions.
- Customer Service: Passion for delivering exemplary service. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers. You should also be collaborative and exhibit a positive attitude toward your work and colleagues.
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to interact respectfully with all colleagues and customers. Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills are essential along with the ability to listen intently to others.
- Time management: Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously, meet deadlines, remain organized, and focused on work in a manufacturing environment.
- Leadership: Exhibit the ability to influence and guide a team by fostering a creative environment, inspiring confidence within the group, making tough decisions, having crucial conversations, and showing compassion. Lead by example.
- Safety focused: You should keep safety in the forefront of your mind, demonstrating safe work practices and complying with safety procedures.
What we require: (education, experience, certifications)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Electrical Engineering, or relevant field; or equivalent work experience in a directly related role
- 5+ years of experience in controls design
- 3+ years of experience in a people management or leadership role
- Expert knowledge in control theory and algorithms
- Knowledge of FMVSS standards that impact control algorithms
- Familiarity with automotive diagnostic standards (OBD, UDS, XCP)
- Experience with version control systems such as GIT or SVN
- Ability to read engineering drawings, prints, schematics, and diagrams
- Fluency with common automotive signal mediums such as analog, PWM, digital, CAN, and LIN
What we prefer: (education, experience, certifications)
- Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Electrical Engineering, or relevant field
- Familiar with electric vehicle architecture
- Experience developing controls algorithms using Raptor or Motohawk tool chains
- Proficiency in software languages such as python, C, or C++
- Familiar with J1939
- Knowledge in automotive power electronics and charging systems
- Familiar with functional safety standards such as ISO 26262
Once hired, employees are offered generous benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance
- Health Savings Account and Health Reimbursement Plan (if enrolled in medical plan)
- Paid time off (accrued)
- Paid holidays
- Short and Long-term disability
- Life insurance
- Employee assistance program
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Lightning eMotors is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, military or veteran status.
Note: Statements included in this description are intended to reflect in general, the duties and responsibilities of this position and are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive.
Powered by JazzHR
ManufacturingView all jobs at Lightning eMotors
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?